Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragic "It Gets Better" Video [Emotive]

Options
  • 21-09-2011 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

The 14 year old in the above video died by suicide at the weekend.

Years of anti-​gay bullying drove a 14-​year old teen boy from Williamsville, New York (near Buffalo), to succumb to suicide. Jamey Rodemeyer was called “gay,” and was told by his classmates they would be happier when he was dead. Some students used FormSpring, a social media site that excels for its users’ ability to remain anonymous, to deliver their hate speech. Rodemeyer had recorded an It Gets Better video, and also expressed his feelings about his bullying in another video posted to YouTube. Rodemeyer’s parents said they had worked with his school to stop the bullying, and said this year he seemed happier, but his classmates, according to this news video from WGRZ, say otherwise.

Buffalo News reports:

“I always say how bullied I am, but no one listens,” he wrote Sept. 9. “What do I have to do so people will listen to me?”

Just over one week later, Jamey was found dead outside his home of an apparent suicide.

In the months prior, he routinely blogged about school bullying and thoughts of suicide in between upbeat posts about his pop star idol Lady Gaga and the ordinary types of teen rants typical for kids his age.

On Sept. 8, he wrote: “No one in my school cares about preventing suicide, while you’re the ones calling me [gay slur] and tearing me down.”

He put up a separate post that day letting everyone know it was National Suicide Prevention Week.

Then he posted the lyrics to a song by Hollywood Undead:

I just wanna say good bye, disappear with no one knowing

I don’t wanna live this lie, smiling to the world unknowing

I dont want you to try, you’ve done enough to keep me going

I’ll be fine, I’ll be fine, I’ll be fine for the very last time

On Saturday night, he posted a lyric from Lady Gaga’s song “The Queen” on his Facebook page: “Don’t forget me when I come crying to heaven’s door.”

Then around 1:30 a.m. Sunday, Jamey posted two final messages to his main public Tumblr blog. One said he really wanted to see his great-​grandmother, who had recently died, and one offered thanks to Lady Gaga.

That was his last entry.

Jamey is the second Williamsville North High School student known to have committed suicide since 2010. Joe Chearmonte, a junior honor student, died in February of last year.

Buffalo News also published these comments from Rodemeyer’s FormSpring account:

“JAMIE IS STUPID, GAY, FAT ANND UGLY. HE MUST DIE!” read one post.

Another read: “I wouldn’t care if you died. No one would. So just do it It would make everyone WAY more happier!”
    Source

Jameys parents have spoken already about the effects of bullying.

We have Gay Teen suicides in Ireland too, I know of 3 deaths in the last year, and others who attempted and survived....

Is enough being done in Ireland to address this? Is it just down to parents to address? What about school policies? Church policies? Sports? How much of a role does full equality play - issues like sports personalities coming out, specific anti LGBT bullying campaigns and leglislation, full employment equality (including teachers and volunteers), Marriage Equality, etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Physically upsetting and disturbing that video is - :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

very sad..........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Im left numb after watching that clip! God love him.... so very sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

That is absolutely heart-breaking. I feel that I'm lucky that I've never been affected by suicide, directly or indirectly, but it's something I feel very, very, very strongly about. I know we recently had the Suicide Awareness campaign here, but it can't just be confined to a week. It needs to be constantly publicised and the support services have to be super-accessible, particularly for young people.

If anyone reading this is contemplating taking their own lives, please please please don't. There are so many people who love you - even strangers like me. I mean that. Every life is precious and while sometimes it might seem like there's no life at the end of the tunnel, there always is. I cannot emphasise that enough.

If you have a problem, please talk to somebody, anybody. Just let your feelings be known. Once it's all out in the open, it nearly always doesn't seem so bad.

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

pourquoi wrote: »
    That is absolutely heart-breaking. I feel that I'm lucky that I've never been affected by suicide, directly or indirectly, but it's something I feel very, very, very strongly about. I know we recently had the Suicide Awareness campaign here, but it can't just be confined to a week. It needs to be constantly publicised and the support services have to be super-accessible, particularly for young people.

If anyone reading this is contemplating taking their own lives, please please please don't. There are so many people who love you - even strangers like me. I mean that. Every life is precious and while sometimes it might seem like there's no life at the end of the tunnel, there always is. I cannot emphasise that enough.

If you have a problem, please talk to somebody, anybody. Just let your feelings be known. Once it's all out in the open, it nearly always doesn't seem so bad.

<3

I have unfortunately been touched on a number of occasions by suicide and the devastation that is left behind is still so raw.
    I am scared even writing this post because of what a taboo subject, it can be.
    It’s the horrendous awful fu**en mess that’s left behind, the pain, the guilt, the” What if’s!” the Whys??? The huge HUGE loss!!
    There is no going back……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Theres lots of tribute videos, but this is perhaps one of the most poignant... in particular the last balloon.

The Uploader requested that people post it to their facebook, etc.

Advertisement