Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Getting Into Google???

Options
  • 21-09-2011 5:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Everybody... I'm new here. But I felt you would be the right folks to ask.

I've been trying to get into Bing and Google for almost a year. Bing was easy ... but for Google... Nothing I do seems to work. And i've been reading everything from searchenginewatch.com and many other industry blogs.

So then I found this quasi blog post at <mod snip> that listed to many of the things I've been doing. BUT BUT BUT it says I could be hurting my ranking!!.

So now, im totally confused. I'm even thinking of just downloading their how to e-book but its really hella-expensive!

So, do you think it's worth getting? What could they possibly have that's not already in some blog or forum???

HELP! =/ - Sarah
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Get Google Sitemaps and Google Analytics up and running if you haven't already. Often times if you're trying to hard without knowing exactly what you're doing Google might penalise you. The Google ranking system is way to complex to get to page 1 in 5 days. It depends on many factors. If you can get to number 1 in Google's Search Engine Results Page you are not going to make any decent ROI so there is no point in doing this as even if you're at number 1 you might only get 5 visitors a week because there is no competition (and no market!). You're better off spending a good few months battling for a good spot for keywords that will bring in business and revenue giving you a much better ROI.

Hope all goes well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

. The Google ranking system is way to complex to get to page 1 in 5 days. It depends on many factors.

Well unfortunately thats not true, i got my client into page 1 this week for in my opinion a good keyword for him for what he does.. yes there is not that much competetion but alas he needs to target keywords other than the impossible..

A few tips.. U need Lots and lots of long tail keywords to target..

if your nice is chicken coops.. targeting "chicken coops" with high competition might never be attainable because

1. You might not have the experience in seo
    2. Link diversity.. Many many different different areas, such as blogging, yahoo answers, web 2.0, article networks, high pr blog posts, social bookmarks, facebook and twitter and lots more.
    3. On page seo.. U need ure website to at least be 60 or 70% sorted so google can actually see your site for the keywords "chicken coops" It doesnt have to be perfect but it needs to be ok or above
    4. Top level domain.. Targeting "chicken coops" with chicken coops.info isnt doing you any favours.. .com .org or .net and also dont forget targetting geo.. Meaning if you are targetting an irish customer dont be putting it into google.com because its predomintly usa based.. google.ie is a differnt bad boy although its good to drive traffic to get pr in the long run
    5.Keyword research.. I can look at a site in under 1 min and tell you the wrong keywords your targeting.. u need more on this such as:

Your overall goal is to drive traffic x to get an average conversion of 5% ?? Chicken coops is 100k searches local per month so the number 1 will get me on google approx 40% of that which is 40,000 searches per month for the no 1 slot.. U do realise that page 1 on spot ten is 2.90% of that 100k
    SOOOO getting page 1 isnt the end all and be all.. my point is u need to target less competitive keywords such as long tail keywords..
    the no10 spot for "chicken coop" is 3000 searches per month

If u research a keyword "blue chicken coops in dublin" and it has a 10k local that means for no1 you will recieve 4,000 searches per month
    If u find another that is "where to buy chicken coops in dublin" and has an 8k local search it is approx 3200 seaches. Which keyword would u target if it had both equal competition ???

The second because its a buying keyword, the first looks like its a search keyword people are looking around, to see what how much for the chicken coop. The latter people are literally going online with the credit card hoping to purchase today and i feel you would have much better conversion ratios with that one.

If you did hit no1 for the "blue chicken coops in dublin" you are automatically targetting "chicken coops" also.. believe it or not. So you will drive traffic and increase serp ranking by ALONE chasing the second keyword.. The KEY and im surprised that no one in ireland on this forums is helpnig you guys, is to target lsi keywords (long tail keywords). Ive had enough website failures over the years to tell you why it doesnt work.

Also dont be over fussed with google, its 70% of the traffic, dont forget bing and yahoo are close to the other 30% .. u will hit up those firstly in the short term anyway so you,ll start getting traffic from those asap.

I suspect the reason your not in google, if you indeed have targetted a wrong keyword.. (too much competition) unfortunately you need to do a bit more legwork on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

sparkb wrote: »
    Hi Everybody... I'm new here. But I felt you would be the right folks to ask.

I've been trying to get into Bing and Google for almost a year. Bing was easy ... but for Google... Nothing I do seems to work. And i've been reading everything from searchenginewatch.com and many other industry blogs.

So then I found this quasi blog post at <mod snip> that listed to many of the things I've been doing. BUT BUT BUT it says I could be hurting my ranking!!.

So now, im totally confused. I'm even thinking of just downloading their how to e-book but its really hella-expensive!

So, do you think it's worth getting? What could they possibly have that's not already in some blog or forum???

HELP! =/ - Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Your post is quite low on detail in terms of what you are actually looking to achieve. What do you mean by "trying to get into Google"?

Do you mean onto the first page, or just into Google's index? I'm not getting the vibe from your post that you really understand how Google works in terms of how it displays results on its SERPs

You post above seems pretty high in frustration but you should bear in mind that getting anywhere near the first page in Google is not generally easy anymore. Effective SEO requires a fairly huge volume of knowledge and experience, and there are SEO professionals who have spent years learning how to achieve page 1 position for the sites they are working on.

I'm not sure how valuable that link you posted would be to you because the mod snipped it, but it is worth understanding the difference between black and white hat SEO (before you buy!) and also I would strongly urge you to only buy a book or guide or whatever from someone who is reputable.

If you want to PM me I can point you in the direction of a very good free guide and some resources where you can study up. Also if you want we can have a chat and I'll give you some feedback on your site and pointers for getting better SERPs position for your keywords.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Hi Sarah

Totally agree with the last posts. One thing you might also look at is your site content. What is your on page SEO like? PM me if you'd like me to have a look at your site and point you to some good advice on this stuff.
    Don't give up - it IS frustrating as hell but there is a learning curve to go through .
    J

• Advertisement
Advertisement