Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food to eat after braces?

Options
  • 21-09-2011 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just got braces on yesterday morning. I was fine yesterday, went in to work straight after my appointment and managed to eat some lunch and had mashed potatoes for dinner. I was thinking I'd got away with the pain I was told would happen!

This morning my mouth is feeling pretty bad. I'm finding it hard to eat much. I just had some scrambled eggs but didn't eat much of them. I'm sending my OH to the supermarket to get me some ice cream and yoghurt to make smoothies. I can't think what else I feel like. I know it'll be like this whenever the braces get tightened. I have two years of this!

What do you like to eat after you get your braces tightened? Any suggestions? Foods to avoid?

I'm sure it will be worth it, you can already see a slight movement in my top teeth but right now, I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smiledust

Hi Watna

I was the same when i got my braces in May. It didn't hurt at all on the day but it was very sore the next day. I found soups and smoothies brill for the first few days. Also pasta & mashed potatoes are great for a bit of variety. Avoid any hard foods like nuts, popcorn, apples. But after about 1 week to 10 days you should be able to eat properly.
    Dental wax is pretty awesome so use tons of that to help ease the pain. Good luck with the braces. Its really worht it and you will notice the difference in your teeth pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Watna, in the first 2/3 weeks after braces i lost about 10lbs in weight and thats no joke. I had a lot of soup, soft bread, yoghurts etc. But after a while you get used to them.

You will really need to clean them braces and teeth well though.

Best of luck and you will not regret them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks guys!

10lbs!!:eek: I suppose that's a beneficial side effect if you want to lose a bit of weight.:D

I can see how it would happen though, eating is so much hassle that you choose not to. I'm eating very small portions at the moment :) I managed to eat some pasta with cheese sauce for dinner and then had ice cream. It took me a while but I ate a a fair bit.

The orthodontist told me it would start to feel better after three days but I don't see me being able to eat normally for another week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

hi there

it may help to take your usual pain killer for about 4-5 days. Avoid very hard foods like toffess, sweets pizza crust altogether. Cut up bread rolls apples etc into small bits.

It will get easier but you do have to go easy when the braces are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

Hi Watna! I got braces on too just last week, what I was sticking to is soups, yogurts, and pasta. Tuna pasta bake is now my new fave dinner! I also find lasagne, Spag bol, fish and mash potatoe pretty ok .

What I found most painful was the sides of the brackets on my back teeth digging into my cheeks when I talked/ate. But 3 days after the braces, it doesnt bother me at all now. But I was taking nurofen and using bonjela when needed.

I'm still abit sensitive for biting into things, so Im avoiding sandwiches at work (also because I havent figured out out to eat a sandwich without food being stuck everywhere haha). Porridge is good for breakfast at work I find.

My next tightening is in 6 weeks, so I expect to be back on soup and yogurts for a few days then. :P

• Advertisement

I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I also found pasta not too bad to eat last night but it did take me a long time and it was a very small portion.

They're still pretty bad today. I'm in work eating a yoghurt for breakfast and popping nurofen like they're smarties! I'm meeting a friend for lunch so I've picked somewhere that has nice soup, even though I hate soup! I'm hoping I'll be able to eat some soft bread as well.

As advised by the orthodontist I'm trying to cut back a lot on my diet coke intake as well which is quite hard when you can't really eat much. I love diet coke :o

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭imasmeasmecanbe

Bread and soup. Or a nice bowl of stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lauraxxx

How are you feeling now, I am getting braces hopefully in the next few weeks, how long are yours on for & have you noticed a difference yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Lauraxxx please read the charter carefully especially rule number 4 & 7. This is an old thread no need to resurrect it.

As this thread has been bumped anyway - I have a new favourite thing to eat after my braces have been tightened (which I did yesterday). Oats soaked overnight in apple juice with some natural yoghurt on them. Yum! Tasty, filling and very easy to eat.

For the poster above, I've had them for about 4 months, I think and there is a huge huge difference. My top teeth are basically straight already. They're really not fun but when you can see them working it makes it a lot easier. I had to get my teeth filed yesterday as well which was horrific.

• Advertisement

Why did you need your teeth filed?

fichillie wrote: »
    Why did you need your teeth filed?

it was my two front teeth - they're quite curved and the rest of ny teeth are straight along the bottom so the orthodontist was reshaping them. I wasn't painful, just unpleasant!

Ah I see, I must ask my ortho about that myself, my two front teeth are quite curved too. I didnt think anything like that would happen until closer to the end of treatment :)

Neither did I and I hadn't prepared myself for it at all! It does look a lot better though. He got me to hold a mirror and showed me before and after. He's going to finish them off later in the treatment.

The things we do for vanity, eh?!

Advertisement