Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I pick up my first ever brand new car tomorrow.....

• 20-09-2011 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

I know I'll be lots of forms etc, but is there anything I should watch out for before signing/handing over monies?

(sorry if this seems dumb, it will probably be the first & last time I ever can afford a brand new car :o )

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not much paperwork really. Just make sure the car is 100% condition, & spec. wise.

Best wishes with your new car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,886 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not much paperwork really. Just make sure the car is 100% condition, & spec. wise.

Best wishes with your new car!

+1

Well wear :)

What car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

it should be straightforward, but make sure you check the car BEFORE you sign for it - any car park dents, missing wheel trim, manuals/books, both sets of keys etc.

And, that it actually is the car you ordered, spec-wise.

Other than that enjoy it - it's a great feeling - no matter what the car.

I still fondly remember mine.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If it is a fully fledged main dealer they will have a process that they MUST stick to when signing over a new car. I remember Ford. They were very specific with everything to the introduction to the Parts manager and explanations of warranty etc.

Insure it before you leave, pay your tax ASAP and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I know I'll be lots of forms etc, but is there anything I should watch out for before signing/handing over monies?

(sorry if this seems dumb, it will probably be the first & last time I ever can afford a brand new car :o )

What is the new motor!!? (:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Skoda Yeti, 170ps diesel 4x4

& thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll prep a check list before we head over tomorrow.

Its a main dealer, hopefully it wont take too long.

I'll insist on an inspection before we sit down with the forms.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Insure it before you leave, pay your tax ASAP and enjoy.

The Wife has the reg number so will call the insurance company in the morning.

Regarding motor tax, isn't it the case that I will have to wait for the vehicle ownership cert to reach me before I can tax it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Good choice, well wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭StonedRaider

Is there a long wait list for one?
    Hardly see any second hand ones around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Soarer

Nice one!

Defo gonna be picking one of these up secondhand in a few years, when I can afford one.

One of the coolest cars on the road IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Health to enjoy it mate.
    There are very few things in life as nice as a new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I've spent alot of time this year, fixing paintwork on brand new cars.

Check for tape stains. While in transit, door / bonnet / boot shuts are taped to stop them opening. Make sure the tape hasn't stained the fresh paint. I've seen this on everything from Alfas to Range Rovers recently.

Check for buffer trails / holograms. Very common in new cars. These happen when the valet guy in the dealer gets let loose on a new car with a buffer he can't use properly. Only last week I spent 2 days repairing the paint on a 4 week old Audi A5 that was covered in holograms.

In summary, go over the paintwork / wheels with a fine tooth comb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Make sure they show you where the spare tyre etc. is if they have'nt already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

An excellent motor by all accounts.

May you wear well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...Regarding motor tax, isn't it the case that I will have to wait for the vehicle ownership cert to reach me before I can tax it??

Nope. 1st time out you can use the last digits of the chassis code as your pin. Ask the dealer about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

An excellent choice.

I assume you have sat nav in the car. Make sure you have the most up to date maps in the system. Skoda want €200 (ish) to upgrade. Your system should have the M3 motorway.

If not, insist the dealer brings the maps up to date at the first opportunity. In the UK each car has a DVD supplied, with the current maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Congrats on your new car.
    I remember when i bought my current car new almost this time last year, I left strict instructions to the dealer not to touch the paintwork on the car that i would take care of that myself. When he asked "what about washing it" I said no thanks, Don't touch it.
    The reason being was because i walked round the back of the garage where they wash the cars and saw a big ugly container full with filthy water and a big wash brush thrown on the gravel surface. I was not chancing getting my car washed with a dirty brush.. I took the car home and washed it properly and gave it a cleaner polish and two coats of wax.. I wash it regularly and top up the wax or re-polish/wax it. Still looks good today after almost 12 months.

Take a good walk around it and watch the gaps etc.
    Above all
    Enjoy it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

If you ordered any extras, write them all down and go around the car and tick them off.
    Seriously, check everything and do not drive away with the car unless you are 100% happy. I read of a guy in the UK who took delivery of a Fabia Monte Carlo only to discover there were two different alloy wheel designs on his car.
    I recently had to reject my first new car as there was a discrepancy in the spec but I won't go into that :)

Edit - loving your choice of car by the way! I'm a big fan of the Yeti and particularly that you weren't for something with a decent bit of poke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it's a dark colour, spend a good bit of time checking the bonnet and roof for light (ish) scratches.

I've had a lot of cars up recently with loads of scratches on these 2 area's. It's more noticable on Dark cars in daylight, not as noticable inside the garage.

The dealer should give you the RF100 for taxing the car. You can either take this to the tax office, post it in, or the easiest thing to do is go to www.motortax.ie and use the registration number, and last 6 digits of the chassis as the PIN number. Disc will be with you within 4 days.

If you are trading in a car, don't forget the CD in the CD player, your insurance disc, sunglasses from wherever they are, and the E-Flow tag if you have one.

Well wear!

vectra wrote: »
    Congrats on your new car.
    I remember when i bought my current car new almost this time last year, I left strict instructions to the dealer not to touch the paintwork on the car that i would take care of that myself. When he asked "what about washing it" I said no thanks, Don't touch it.
    The reason being was because i walked round the back of the garage where they wash the cars and saw a big ugly container full with filthy water and a big wash brush thrown on the gravel surface. I was not chancing getting my car washed with a dirty brush.. I took the car home and washed it properly and gave it a cleaner polish and two coats of wax.. I wash it regularly and top up the wax or re-polish/wax it. Still looks good today after almost 12 months.

Take a good walk around it and watch the gaps etc.
    Above all
    Enjoy it. :cool:

Hmmm..... this is a worry.

Surely they know to go easy on the paint work on a fresh car?

Thanks for the advise..... I'll check the paint work thoroughly.

If they do a messy job, how can I tell?
    And will a poor cleaning job affect the paint over time?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well wear with the car. I have a V.7.1 of the maps if it's not that you're welcome to but you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Hmmm..... this is a worry.

Surely they know to go easy on the paint work on a fresh car?

Thanks for the advise..... I'll check the paint work thoroughly.

If they do a messy job, how can I tell?
    And will a poor cleaning job affect the paint over time?

Thanks again.

See my post above. Most main dealers don't know how to treat a new car. I see woefully prepared new cars almost every week.

Look at the reflection of ceiling lights in the car. They will highlight any scratches. Unfortunately, you'll need to get it out into the sun to see any holograms or buffer trails - but we don't see the sun too often these days!

If they do a bad job preparing the car (paint wise) the scratches will be there until you get them taken out. We do a 'New Car Detail' which comprises of a one stage machine polish to properly prepare the paint, remove any holograming and flatten the surface as much as possible - then the paintwork is sealed off with a good wax/sealant. Basically, we do what the dealer should do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

make sure they put fuel in the tank......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nessan22

as said above also, try to analyze if there are no scratches or any dents..you may want to check interior also for perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

When I picked up my new Skoda Superb earlier in the year the hand over took about an hour. The sales rep went through everything inside and out (I just wanted keys and get the hell out of there) .. but my technophobe wife made use of the demo ect ..

so while she was learning about this new fangled technology like 'bluetooth' and 'mp3' (actually she still aint got a clue) .. I was having a good look around the bodywork etc ...

Advertisement