Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence and Chaos at Junior Cert Results night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The alcohol-free event at Garryowen Rugby Club in Limerick was organised by Dropzone Disco and had a capacity for 400 people.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/gardai-called-as-junior-cert-disco-becomes-chaotic-167673.html#ixzz1YWtzBNKb

lol!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This got the front page in Monday's Leader. Surprised nobody mentioned it before now!

The organiser's a funny one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Funny ain't the word for her... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Whats the shock, 14 year old's drinking. :)

Been like that every junior cert night since i did mine many many moons ago.

Pity trinity rooms closed now teenagers have no where to go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whats the shock, 14 year old's drinking. :)

The shock is 300 extra teenagers breaking into a hall that was already packed to capacity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I honestly had no idea it was junior cert night , headed out the door @ about 9 that night to get some burger king and it was surreal .

I'd say all the normal kids ether had parties or had gotten in places by that stage cause it was literally only scumbags left on the streets. Wall to wall tinkers. I had no idea what was going on, it was like an Amy Winehouse convention. Truly a weird experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I know a few people whos kids or brothers/sisters went

The company Dropzone Discos said they would give refunds but they have delted their Facebook page

The organiser was on the front of the paper Caoimhe De Brun

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Like guys, most of you who know me know im in events myself. I am completely shocked at the fact that the event was so poorly run.

Like firstly the fact they were letting so many people in and the fact 300 extra got in that shows there was inadequate security on.

I was asked would my own business run a JC night and i laughed and said no way. Its a massive hassle with PL insurance. Although the venue would have insurance the organisers must also have it. <snip> Ya theres always been drunk and drugs at these discos but lads thats a disgrace. Tickets are where they made a huge error. Any event i ever run myself tickes are printed on high quality gloss thick card perferated with security numbers and individual barcodes on each ticket. If one barcode has been scanned twice its a case of right its a copy get out dont come back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What event promoter are you out of interest?

Other rumours going around that it was a teacher running it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

is was Caoimhe De Brun running it, whos mother is the principal of ard school ris secondary school

indeed shocking that you can think you can rent out a hall and itll all be fine, known the girl for years, never was a bright spark to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Frankly I would have thought that 400 people in Garryowen Rugby Club was over capacity as it was.

Breaking News - Trouble at Junior Cert Disco - Not news at all by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Jofspring

They are saying fake tickets where in circulation but from what I heard the organisers actually sold way way over the capacity and on the night started to refuse people with tickets they genuinely bought cause the place was already full which riled upmthe people outside. I don't know if that is 100% true but it isn't the first time I've heard of more tickets being sold than capacity for junior and leaving cert result nights it's just the bigger clubs have had better security to handle it. Money grabbing a head of people's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Junior Cert Results night.... regardless of who organised it, and where it was run, that night is always going to have trouble, to a certain extent. But from reading that article... jaysus, it was a disaster waiting to happen!

Didn't realise it was results night that night myself, was on my way back home from a gig that night and got a tirade of verbal abuse on the street from kids drinking naggins. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Temp closing this as there is a whole lot of " i heard this and i heard that" ill have a better read later on and decide on it then.

Mod Note: Thread re-opened.

The Entertainer, I know you're new here, but that's no excuse for making such allegations. I've removed the offending comments from your post. It's best practice to provide a source to back things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

any jnr cert night out is a disaster for the good kids out there if they want to have a normal night out. In fairness to Dropzone, they have run plenty of discos over the year where there was never any trouble but this one seems to have really lost the run of the place. my kids have been to Dropzone discos over the yrs and there was never any trouble at them. Really seems that jnr cert night now has become a great big drink session for alot of kids and of course, they just spoil it for everyone else. Garryowen is fairly small, would have thought anything over 200 would be too many people. point of interest though - they print tickets and distribute them in the schools but you don't pay until you get to the door so real or forged tickets would actually be treated the same for money collection purposes. The teen disco out in Mungret always seems to be excellently run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Jofspring wrote: »
    They are saying fake tickets where in circulation but from what I heard the organisers actually sold way way over the capacity and on the night started to refuse people with tickets they genuinely bought cause the place was already full which riled upmthe people outside. I don't know if that is 100% true but it isn't the first time I've heard of more tickets being sold than capacity for junior and leaving cert result nights it's just the bigger clubs have had better security to handle it. Money grabbing a head of people's safety.

tickets are printed and distributed but only paid for at the door of the disco, not paid for in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

any jnr cert night out is a disaster for the good kids out there if they want to have a normal night out. In fairness to Dropzone, they have run plenty of discos over the year where there was never any trouble but this one seems to have really lost the run of the place. my kids have been to Dropzone discos over the yrs and there was never any trouble at them. Really seems that jnr cert night now has become a great big drink session for alot of kids and of course, they just spoil it for everyone else. Garryowen is fairly small, would have thought anything over 200 would be too many people. point of interest though - they print tickets and distribute them in the schools but you don't pay until you get to the door so real or forged tickets would actually be treated the same for money collection purposes. The teen disco out in Mungret always seems to be excellently run.

Well going by what was printed in the paper and said on the radio, they have refused to comment on it, refused to reply to parents on it, tried to pass the buck with regards to responsibility, were very vague with regards to people getting refunds,deleted their facebook page which was listed as a point of contact for them, and set up a hotmail account as a business email.

If anything it sounds very much like a poorly run "business" that has no interest in dealing with a problem that happen on it's watch. If there are children who were injured at Dropzone's event and if what was said in the paper is true about children being forced to stay inside the overcrowded building whilst fighting was breaking out in there by security hired by Dropzone, then it becomes quite a serious matter.

bigpink wrote: »
    What event promoter are you out of interest?

Other rumours going around that it was a teacher running it lol

I run No Limit Entertainments and Promotions

Mod Note: Thread re-opened.

The Entertainer, I know you're new here, but that's no excuse for making such allegations. I've removed the offending comments from your post. It's best practice to provide a source to back things up.

Insect overlord

with all due respect i have provided the sources to back up my comments. All you need to do is to scan through the papers and you will see the comments for yourself. The comments regarding PL insurance are based on my own experience as an events manager and the fact that i also hold a degree in Risk Management and Insurance. I was not the one who named tge organiser. Yes the comments regarding her taking the money may be out of line in your eyes but what other reason is there as to why she cannot be reached and why any pages relating to the event have been deleted. Thats all im saying. I have a professional background in this area so im going on mmy own experience.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »

Well going by what was printed in the paper and said on the radio, they have refused to comment on it, refused to reply to parents on it, tried to pass the buck with regards to responsibility, were very vague with regards to people getting refunds,deleted their facebook page which was listed as a point of contact for them, and set up a hotmail account as a business email.

If anything it sounds very much like a poorly run "business" that has no interest in dealing with a problem that happen on it's watch. If there are children who were injured at Dropzone's event and if what was said in the paper is true about children being forced to stay inside the overcrowded building whilst fighting was breaking out in there by security hired by Dropzone, then it becomes quite a serious matter.

Well i know of kids who have gone to these discos in advance and yes they have been run quite well. But for any events company all it takes is one bad event to screw it all up.

The reason Mungret has and continues to operate so well is because its closed to an extent. You need to know a rep to get tickets. This disco is as I believe organised by the GAA club in Mungret and the Gardai are involved from the beginning. The reps in schools are informed as to who they are allowed to sell tickets to and this jeeps the troublemakers out. I have been informed of this by other GAA clubs who have contacted me to help set up ones for their clubs. Although it is business I have on numerous occasions turned down the opportunities due to the high risks involved in this type of event. But Mungret is a fine example of how these events should be run

Insect overlord

with all due respect i have provided the sources to back up my comments. All you need to do is to scan through the papers and you will see the comments for yourself. The comments regarding PL insurance are based on my own experience as an events manager and the fact that i also hold a degree in Risk Management and Insurance. I was not the one who named tge organiser.

All of this is grand. The organiser's identity was never a secret.
    Yes the comments regarding her taking the money may be out of line in your eyes but what other reason is there as to why she cannot be reached and why any pages relating to the event have been deleted.

This was just speculation on your part. Your educated opinion, perhaps, but still unfairly presented as fact. PM me if you want to discuss it further, instead of dragging this thread off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€15 a head for entry to a JC disco. :eek: So much for the recession.

bazz26 wrote: »
    €15 a head for entry to a JC disco. :eek: So much for the recession.

Its quite ridiculous alright. Although, someone correct me if im wrong here but is that the only JC night that was running? I dont know did Mungret run anything. Didnt hear anything about it. I know Queens in Ennis did but thats way far out. But in general, think economics here. Supply and demand. The demand for the event far outweighed supply so therefore the fact that there was only 1 event of this sort meant that they could charge the 15 per head and know they would be able to get it because people would pay it. Sure they could have charged 20 and people would have paid it.

Advertisement