Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to approach looking for a Postgraduate course

Options
  • 20-09-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

After my degree in Music, I have taking a year out to take a break. I found my course extremely draining on me but I'm sure everyone was the same. I have also taking a year out to REALLY research MA courses. I kinda made a bit of a mistake with my Bsc. However I can't be regretting this now.

I know this board is generally for people ACTUALLY doing MA courses, but can I ask what advice you would give for someone actually wanting to start researching.

Another hurdle or me is that my degree classification was a third class honours. This was unfortunate, but it was due to complications and I was told I could get a very good letter of recommendation from my course director who was also my supervisor. So I'm sure this won't altogether kill my chances.

I'm also considering abroad, if things are not looking good here.
    I guess what I'm asking is. Any good websites that reviews these courses etc? Also anyone recommend anything in the Music or IT area for those who have started or finished?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice and if this is in the wrong area. Can a mod please move it? :) Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

When you say IT, do you have some background there, or are you looking for a conversion course?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

I have a degree( A Bsc) In music and multimedia. This covers a high broad range of subjects such as Java programming, Web developments, Graphic design, Video editing and audio editing. I'm not exactly sure what I want yet. I'm strongly considering a conversion course however. To broaden my horizons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lamrin

Hi,

You should visualise end goals and work your way backwards. Try to see specific industries or roles that you wish to apply for after an MA/MSc course.

Talk to people in jobs that you would like to do. How did they get there? If they did a Masters, or want to do a Masters, which one would they choose?

If you are considering going outside of the EU, remember you will be eligible for International Fees, which can be expensive.

Write down all of the routes available to you. This will enable you to gain clarity on which paths look attractive to you. You could also consult a website called Next Steps, which is a UK based careers guidance service, which delves into specific careers and industries, offering advice on what pay and conditions might be like in each sector.

Thanks
    Lamrin

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Thank you Lamrin that's extremely helpful. Especially the website! Thanks :)

Advertisement