Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self help books/mp3's

Options
  • 19-09-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

any body heard of this guy?

i dont mind shelling out circa 40 euro if i thought it would work, or maybe does anyone else know of anyone else better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

You didn't mention which product you were thinking of buying. Yes I have heard of the guy, but I have heard of a great many hypnotherapists.

If it is a hypnotherapy CD you were interested in then the first thing I would say is that €40 is a lot of money for what you get for hypnotherapy CDs (and I have a huge amount of them on my computer [none bought]).

I am ambivalent about saying this because you may be someone for whom the expectancy effect is very strong and you will have a good placebo response to whatever happens to be on the CD. But these are not evidence based treatments. There is simply no evidence that they work for the issues they claim to work for.

I think there is merit in some of the CDs for sleep problems because they can be relaxing, likewise if the issue is de-stressing - lie back and listen to a nice relaxing slow voice.

What is the product you were thinking of investing in? Some of us may have alternatives to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FranSansisco

hotspur wrote: »
    You didn't mention which product you were thinking of buying. Yes I have heard of the guy, but I have heard of a great many hypnotherapists.

If it is a hypnotherapy CD you were interested in then the first thing I would say is that €40 is a lot of money for what you get for hypnotherapy CDs (and I have a huge amount of them on my computer [none bought]).

I am ambivalent about saying this because you may be someone for whom the expectancy effect is very strong and you will have a good placebo response to whatever happens to be on the CD. But these are not evidence based treatments. There is simply no evidence that they work for the issues they claim to work for.

I think there is merit in some of the CDs for sleep problems because they can be relaxing, likewise if the issue is de-stressing - lie back and listen to a nice relaxing slow voice.

What is the product you were thinking of investing in? Some of us may have alternatives to suggest.

Mostly its regarding procrastination and if i could get some motivational elements from it that would be great!

I was thinking cbt for myself but thought this might be a better starting point

Mostly its regarding procrastination and if i could get some motivational elements from it that would be great!

I was thinking cbt for myself but thought this might be a better starting point

CBT is a far better starting point imo.

Check out this previous post on CBT resources for procrastination, you could get the lot of them for the price of that hypnotherapy CD:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73166937&postcount=3

There are lots of free examples of hypnosis for procrastination out there, give them a try and see if they are do anything for you before shelling out €40. It's not so much the amount but I just hate seeing people paying for supposed psychological interventions which don't work when there are alternatives which do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FranSansisco

hmmm having read a bit of that, maybe procrastination is not what is wrong with me!

i think maybe my fear of failure is stopping me starting anything, what might help me with that? however i am a reasonably confident person with a job i used to love - kinda stalled at the moment, want to progress somehow.

sorry to plague you with this, but you are by far and away giving me the best advice so far (i've posted on other forums also)

if you want any more info please don't hesitate to ask, however i would want to dm you, as i dont want my whole history on these boards ;)

There isn't much I can suggest. I think self-help bibliotherapy, if it works at all, is most helpful for clearly defined difficulties which are amenable to structured cognitive and behavioural interventions.

Perhaps visiting a coaching psychologist for a few sessions would help? Or maybe some counselling? I would say if choosing to see a coach that it is likely preferable if they are a psychologist or psychotherapist as opposed to someone who just did a few weekends training in coaching.

• Advertisement
Advertisement