Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging the gap...

Options
  • 19-09-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

From a pass degree to a masters and future study.

Basically I have a degree in Arts. I graduated a few years ago with a pass mark. I didn't put in enough work and I accepted that. Lately, however, I'm beginning to realise more and more that I want to give it another shot.

I love English and would like to get another shot at studying it. So my question is how do i go about this with a pass mark in my BA? Is there any route that can be taken to bridge the gap between a poor degree result and a masters?

Ultimately i'm interested in doing a PHD and possibly lecturing. i'm realistic too...i know this is not easily achieved but i'd like to research the options available to me at least.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

LaHaine wrote: »
    From a pass degree to a masters and future study.

Basically I have a degree in Arts. I graduated a few years ago with a pass mark. I didn't put in enough work and I accepted that. Lately, however, I'm beginning to realise more and more that I want to give it another shot.

I love English and would like to get another shot at studying it. So my question is how do i go about this with a pass mark in my BA? Is there any route that can be taken to bridge the gap between a poor degree result and a masters?

Ultimately i'm interested in doing a PHD and possibly lecturing. i'm realistic too...i know this is not easily achieved but i'd like to research the options available to me at least.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I know of at least one current lecturer whose original B.A. was a pass. Best thing you can do is approach your prospective supervisor and try and convince him/her. Then ye can both try and convince the head of dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I know of at least one current lecturer whose original B.A. was a pass. Best thing you can do is approach your prospective supervisor and try and convince him/her. Then ye can both try and convince the head of dept.

Thanks for the reply.

I probably should have clarified though, I left college about 6 years ago. So anything along those lines isn't really realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

Perhaps a relevant graduate diploma would be your best option to help you gain entry into a masters level course; not to say that you shouldn't try applying for a masters anyway.

Perhaps something like this? http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/hdip/english/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A friend of mine did a GradDip in History in UCD, with I believe a pass in his BA. He got a first at christmas and was able to transfer to the MA programme.

Edit: This one, to be precise. Doesn't seem to be an equivalent for english, but you might be able to find a similar course elsewhere. GradDip courses in general don't require a high grade from your undergrad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

LaHaine wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I probably should have clarified though, I left college about 6 years ago. So anything along those lines isn't really realistic.

This particular lecturer had a gap of about 10 years between B.A and post-grad. She did have to argue her case with the dept but now has a PhD and tenured job - so it is possible.
    To do post-grad you will need to get a supervisor on board. That's the place to start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement