Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practicals

Options
  • 19-09-2011 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey guys.

Does anyone know the options for the HL music practicals? I am repeating my LC and taking music, but the school does not do music as a subject and I am a little confused :P

I dropped out last year, around christmas, and I forget exactly how many pieces you had to play.. but my revision book states its three pieces (on one instrument) and one unprepared test.. like I said, I forget exactly how many pieces you had to play, but I'm pretty sure it was more than 3 :S can anyone confirm how many it is, and if you could, the different options? (like if you are playing 2 instruments etc) thanks, and sorry for the silly question :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

What the book is probably talking about is the practical on its own before you add in the elective. In the exam, the practical, listening and composing sections are all worth 25% each and you choose an elective in one section worth an additional 25% - most schools do the practical elective, which means the practical is worth 50%, so that's probably what has you confused! (And sorry if this is even more confusing :p)

As far as I know this is what you can do. You can play 6 pieces all on one instrument, or you can split it so that you perform 4 pieces each on 2 different instruments (e.g. sing 4 songs and play 4 on piano). If your school offers music technology as an option, then I think you can perform 4 pieces on one instrument and also do one piece of music technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rashmaster3000

Ahhh yes. I knew about the elective, but I think what I thought was the practical was 6 pieces without the elective :P

Thanks a lot though, I wanna decide what pieces I'd like to do as soon as I can so really thanks for replying! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tweedo

I was gonna make a seperate thread but i suppose this is as good a place as any to ask this...
    Would anyone like to suggest a contemporary piece on piano for leaving cert? I have 3 of my 4 pieces sorted but i still need a modern piece. The only modern song I can think of that's based around piano is Karma Police by Radiohead. Any other thoughts?

I think this is a nice song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aem9NlKm7BE

Eluvium - Prelude for time Feelers

Thats all I can really think of off the top of my head :P

Are you looking strictly for piano songs, or would you be open to playing a non piano song on piano?

I'm open to whatever really, just as long as i can find the sheet music for it :p

• Advertisement

Well, If I may suggest, I think this would be an excellent piece to play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsz0UIRs-J4

and here is the sheet music arranged for piano;

http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Bubble_Man_Stage

Hmmm, I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Tweedo wrote: »
    I was gonna make a seperate thread but i suppose this is as good a place as any to ask this...
    Would anyone like to suggest a contemporary piece on piano for leaving cert? I have 3 of my 4 pieces sorted but i still need a modern piece. The only modern song I can think of that's based around piano is Karma Police by Radiohead. Any other thoughts?

If there is somebody in your class who is thinking about singing a certain song, see if you could maybe accompany them and add in a little solo for 16 bars maybe?

Remember, most examiners are themselves teachers and will commend any student that helps out another student or goes beyond the typical 4 solo pieces.. By showing you can accompany a soloist, you're showing off another layer to your musicality. :)

Just a suggestion! :)

Advertisement