Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem router without WAN-port, what to do?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I got myself this modem router only to find out it has no WAN port.

My apt has an ethernet socket in the wall, so I was wondering if I can somehow connect the RJ11 port on the router to the ethernet socket, using an adapter(?). I've read the the RJ11 or Line port can act as a WAN port.

The manual says: "Connect the telephone line to the Line port on the Router". As I have a separate ethernet socket, this is no option...

It also seems to be possible to reconfigure a LAN port to a WAN port, although that's way beyond me. It would prefer a solution with cables, if there's any. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Firstly it does have a WAN port,

However it's an ADSL2+ WAN interface, you need a Cable WAN interface, Plain and simple, you got the wrong type of router, take it back to the shop & see if they'll exchange it for a different type for oyu

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think some modem routers allow you to turn off the modem capabilites and you just use LAN port one on the router to use it wirelessly. Now I'm not sure if all manufacturers support this, connect the modem to your computer and look under settings, see if you can disable the ADSL stuff, activate wireless routing functionality

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Generally to enable a LAn port to act as wan you need to disable the devices DHCP server, at which point you have a 4Port Switch W/ WAP, if you don't have anything doing DHCP & routing it's utterly useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What you have is useless to you. Get a router, not a modem/router.

Advertisement