Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice reqd. - Can u hit the wall in a half marathon ?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, this is my first year running races and all distances are a first, have done 5k in 20.30, 5m 33.17, 10k 43.29, 10m 70.10 and half mar in Pho last Sat 1.34.56. Problem was at the 9 mile mark in the half marathon while on track to break 90 mins my body just gave up. I thought I would puke, had to jog a few miles on the grass but at the 12 mile mark my body and legs just powered back up and was able to speed up the hill to the finish. Friends said my lips were blue afterwards. Had 1 pasta meal each of 2 days beforehand, training was 4 sessions 4,6,8,and 10 mile at 90min race pace and then 3 days rest, no gels during race, just water, what did I do wrong ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Rebel1234 wrote: »
    training was 4 sessions 4,6,8,and 10 mile at 90min race pace and then 3 days rest, no gels during race, just water, what did I do wrong ?

Sounds like you were wayyyy undertrained to me- do you mean you only did 4 sessions before the race? Do you do any other running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Did you go out too fast in the early part of the race? Doesn't matter whether it is 400m or a half marathon, if you go out too fast you will die towards the end.

Not sure if you hit "the wall" though. From my understanding "the wall" is when your glycogen levels deplete which usually happens between 17 to 20 miles. So this shouldn't happen in a half marathon. You probably just went out too hard and were drained as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats some running for your first year.

From the looks of your 5k and 10k times which are similar to mine I would have said you wouldn't have got anywhere near sub 1.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Had 1 pasta meal each of 2 days beforehand, training was 4 sessions 4,6,8,and 10 mile at 90min race pace and then 3 days rest, no gels during race, just water, what did I do wrong ?

As long as you're healthy, you won't run out of glycogen in a half marathon, which is the classic "hitting the wall" thing.

Pasta meals are irrelevant.

I don't get your training regime. 4,6,8 and 10 miles, all at planned race pace? :confused:
    Is that it? If that's the case, then no wonder you ran into trouble. Next time follow an actual training program.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rebel1234

Thanks for the fast replies, am new to race running so don't know much about training. I go to boot camp type classes that involves running and also did some boxing training lately, don't train much for running per say so thats why I did the four sessions to try and get the body used to it but did them four consecutive days from 8 days before the race. I thought if I trained at race pace it might get the body used to it. I run all the races the same, I try to run each km or mile in the same time. Training not very disciplined, should I join an athletics club and is it too late to try the marathon this year if I go for sub 4 hour ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll certainly learn what hitting the wall feels like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

but did them four consecutive days from 8 days before the race.

You were probably knackered even at the start line with that kind of training!
    Training not very disciplined, should I join an athletics club and is it too late to try the marathon this year if I go for sub 4 hour ?

Seriously? You got the stuffing knocked out of you after 9 miles and now you want to run 26?

You're obviously a talented runner if you can run that kind of pace on virtually no training at all but if you're serious about the marathon I very strongly recommend doing next year instead, and doing a proper training program, 4 months minimum, instead

Joining a club is a good idea though.

RayCun wrote: »

LOL ! Yes u r right, marathon may be a bridge too far but if I have come this far knowing me I will prob try it anyway but at a sensible pace ! Sometimes my brain thinks the body will do what I tell it regardless of preparation but I am 37 so not getting any younger and might as well have a go as who knows where I will be next year, thanks

Joining a club is a good idea though.[/QUOTE]

Good advice, am going to join one, I live in Dublin 6w so know of Sportsworld and the one in Rathfarnham village. I dont mind travelling though and ideally I would like to join a large successful club that has good training and nutritional advice or access to good winter facilities or a track for the winter. In the meantime you may know of a good website for training and nutrition advice ?
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply... Always good to get a reality check from those who are more expert and experienced !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As others have pointed out, you obviously have a talent, but your approach is inadequate and if you persist with your plan, you have a heightened risk of injuring yourself leading up to and during the marathon. Needless to say, a leg injury would likely curtail any kind of training: running, boot camp and boxing.

You have plenty of time. I ran my first marathon at age 37, having started running shortly beforehand, and have run some pretty good times since. If you take a more structured approach, you will realize more significant gains and enjoy it all the more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RayCun wrote: »

Jesus its not pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LOL ! Yes u r right, marathon may be a bridge too far but if I have come this far knowing me I will prob try it anyway but at a sensible pace ! Sometimes my brain thinks the body will do what I tell it regardless of preparation but I am 37 so not getting any younger and might as well have a go as who knows where I will be next year, thanks

Can you hit the wall in a marathon?

tunney wrote: »
    Can you hit the wall in a marathon?

LOL ! Yes that will probably be my thread this time next year !

You have plenty of time. I ran my first marathon at age 37, having started running shortly beforehand, and have run some pretty good times since. If you take a more structured approach, you will realize more significant gains and enjoy it all the more.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Krusty, sound advice from obvious good experience. I think I will try the running club route. Just saw on the site that it would cost me € 90 to enter the marathon, that might put manners on my over ambitious plans ! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just saw on the site that it would cost me € 90 to enter the marathon, that might put manners on my over ambitious plans ! Lol
    There are lots of other races run throughout the year, where the cost is less prohibitive, e.g. the BHAAand IMRA hill races. Good training for a 2012 marathon too. :)

Thanks Krusty, will look them up today !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I'm pretty sure I saw someone hit the wall in a 10km last year.

He was a club runner and was at the pointy end of the field. But in the last 400 metres, he just totally went. Veering all over the road, completely out of the game. Was a bizarre sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hitting the wall is hitting the wall. You are goosed. You don't suddenly find the energy to sprint up a hill a while later :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking, not sure what it was, lack of proper training over a longer period of time I guess and should prob go steadier at the start of longer races and speed up towards the end !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Thanks for the fast replies, am new to race running so don't know much about training. I go to boot camp type classes that involves running and also did some boxing training lately, don't train much for running per say so thats why I did the four sessions to try and get the body used to it but did them four consecutive days from 8 days before the race. I thought if I trained at race pace it might get the body used to it. I run all the races the same, I try to run each km or mile in the same time. Training not very disciplined, should I join an athletics club and is it too late to try the marathon this year if I go for sub 4 hour ?

Buy youtself a good book on running and peferably one that will give you schedules for different distance runs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

That's what I was thinking, not sure what it was, lack of proper training over a longer period of time I guess and should prob go steadier at the start of longer races and speed up towards the end !

If you don't train properly- it will be impossible to speed up towards the end of a distance like HM/ Marathon regardless of how slow you go at the start...

Advertisement