Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome Inspection Advice

Options
  • 19-09-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have just placed a deposit on a 05 Hymer 7 berth motorhome (on a Fiat base). The camper seems in excellent condition etc.. However this is a private sale and I am new to Motorhoming so where would I get some one to inspect for me. The Motor Home is in Waterford. I'm most concerned buying a Motorhome that is leaking, not as concerned about the engine, as it has low mileage.

Any advice would be greatly received please !!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭meercat

welcome to boards steelboots
    have seen the motorhome you are looking at and it looks very clean and tidy
    i dont think that a camper of this age would suffer from moisture ingress(though you never know)
    i used to own this exact model and found that rain water pooled where the overcab meets the roof and then left black marks down the side,exactly like the pics in the add
    (park it on a slight slope and let the rain run off the back)
    even with such low milage i would consider new timing belt and 4 new tyres
    (Total cost about €1000)
    if this man owned it from new i think you should be alright with this one
    its a quality motorhome and if you get a bit of discount off the marked price then your onto a winner for sure

dont forget to wave

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Thanks meercat.

Had a guy from http://www.camperrepaircentre.com/ by the name of Derek Walsh. In fairness to him he drove from Limerick to Waterford and inspected it. Only issue was sum surface rust on the chassis. Apart from that everything was fine. He checked everything and did the dampness test etc...

Took the plung and bought last night, have to say it drives much nicer than a Ford Transit (Sunlight) I hired during the summer, and its 4 years older.

SteelBoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭meercat

well done
    im sure you will have the best time of your life
    the memories you and your family will have in your motorhome will last forever and will be talked about twice as long
    safe travels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Sun light would be considered a basic , cheaply built MH tbh...

Advertisement