Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good architect in Cork

Options
  • 18-09-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,
    I am looking into building a Georgian style house in the country in Cork county.
    I am wondering if anyone knows an architect who has done a few of these to recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hi lnos 1

Before deciding on 'Georgian' style have a look at this document and then decide. http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/57155115.pdf

The style of house you would like simply may not be allowed by the planners (depending on your site, etc., etc.).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lnos1

Thank you for pm. I must discuss it with my wife.
    I have seen newly built georgian style houses built around the countryside. Does that mean the planners are getting stricter with the applications? Also just wondering are the guidelines different for each county council around the country?
    Thanks for any help

lnos1 wrote: »
    Thank you for pm. I must discuss it with my wife.
    I have seen newly built georgian style houses built around the countryside. Does that mean the planners are getting stricter with the applications? Also just wondering are the guidelines different for each county council around the country?
    Thanks for any help
    ok so maybe what you say is 'Georgian style' is more country mansion that's meant to look like country farm house:)
    re application: you need to introduce the site before I'd comment, yes the development plan along with engineering issues can make new green field applications complicated.. look at the housing guidelines link and this http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Planning/Development%20Plans .. yes the council guidelines differ a little from county to county, they are all from the same act and just interpreted slightly differently. it must be said that cork has been quiet progressive in planning guidance and environmental matters but has not yet gone far enough imho..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I have seen newly built georgian style houses built around the countryside. Does that mean the planners are getting stricter with the applications?

Basically yes, up to maybe 5 years ago, once the site was 'suitable' for a house (i.e. local needs requirements met, adequate sight lines and access on to road, suitable for septic tank/treatment system, etc.) the design really was a secondary matter and pretty much in many Councils all and any sort of style of house was allowed.

Now design is a much more important consideration. Venacular is the keyword these days!

As BryanF has alluded to, there is Georgian and there is Georgian - it can encompass many 'styles'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

What the Cork planners will decide on is like trying to guess the weather. At the start of the process the planners told us that we could not go high - so we designed a bungalow. We submitted this was initially refused and we were told to build a 2 storey. After discussions with the planners they changed their minds and allowed the bungalow with minor changes.

So I would advise you to have a Pre-planning meeting with the council. This will save you time and money. Some architects do not like the pre-planning process but will shorten the process once the plans are submitted and if the planners will outright reject it at least you have not paid any additional fees for architect etc

nok2008 wrote: »
    What the Cork planners will decide on is like trying to guess the weather. At the start of the process the planners told us that we could not go high - so we designed a bungalow. We submitted this was initially refused and we were told to build a 2 storey. After discussions with the planners they changed their minds and allowed the bungalow with minor changes.

So I would advise you to have a Pre-planning meeting with the council. This will save you time and money. Some architects do not like the pre-planning process but will shorten the process once the plans are submitted and if the planners will outright reject it at least you have not paid any additional fees for architect etc
    I have to disagree with you, anyone dealing with the planners regularly know that sometimes mistakes are made and backtracking is done, but for the most part they follow the Dev PLan as they are required to do, and try to apply a sustainable development policy. Your point about a pre-planning meeting is very important.. When it comes down to a roof height, house type or amount of glazing it often helps if your your arch has a conversation with the planner, explaining the logic for the design and what will be done to avoid the house being an eyesore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciaranb123

Hi all,
    I am looking into building a Georgian style house in the country in Cork county.
    I am wondering if anyone knows an architect who has done a few of these to recommend?

Thanks
    Inos 1, I am in a very similar situation to yourself,trying it find a good architect ,lots out there but very difficult to get recommendation s.I'm looking at a 2 story new build but the house adjacent is fairly contempory.
    If you received any recommendations that you'd like to pass on, all would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ciaranb123 wrote: »
    Inos 1, I am in a very similar situation to yourself,trying it find a good architect ,lots out there but very difficult to get recommendation s.I'm looking at a 2 story new build but the house adjacent is fairly contempory.
    If you received any recommendations that you'd like to pass on, all would be greatly appreciated
    You might want to post here in the same format as the other posts.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement