Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ballinskelligs

Options
  • 18-09-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi

I have recently moved to Ballinskelligs. Im a few miles from the village on the Portmagee road. I had O2 mobile broadband which now doesnt work. Tried a tester of Vodafone mobile but that is painfully slow.

I have a phoneline in the house, can anyone recommend a good ISP for the area? Reading reviews of Vodafone, Wimax, Iveragh Broadband and a few more, seems they offer poor service.

Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

if you have a land line and Eircom offers it, I would imagine ( pardon the pun) that it would be your best bet. a lot of areas in Kerry have very bad broadband coverage be it with any of the mobile networks providing it or that the local phone exchange is not broadband enabled. your best bet maybe to ask some locals and see what sort of service they have

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

piskins72 wrote: »
    if you have a land line and Eircom offers it, I would imagine ( pardon the pun) that it would be your best bet. a lot of areas in Kerry have very bad broadband coverage be it with any of the mobile networks providing it or that the local phone exchange is not broadband enabled. your best bet maybe to ask some locals and see what sort of service they have

I suppose it depends on how far away the telephone exchange is. I presume that Ballinskelligs is the nearest one, but the OP mentions "a few miles away", which doesn't sound too promising.

Someone told me a couple of weeks ago that Kerry had the worst broadband in the country, and based on my Vodafone landline experience near Listowel, I can well believe it.

yes I'd agree with that also, where I am from is rural and local exchange not enabled,( when Eircom initally did Broadband years ago there was a poll done and they said only 2 local numbers requested it so it was not in their interest to upgrade!!) none of the mobile broadband really works, only at a dial up speed at the best of times and when the 3 broadband roll out was done, area was not included in it also

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Years ago, Eircom laid a load of fibre-optic cable in various parts of the country, and some of it is about 15 metres from my house. I haven't a clue who gets the benefit of it, but it certainly isn't me with a 2mb download speed courtesy of a poxy cable from a telephone pole.:(

I even queried on the Broadband forum as to whether I imagined that Eircom had laid the cable, and one helpful soul gave me a link to the fibre-optic network map.

There seems to be a long run of it to Cahirciveen and a small bit of it at Castletownbere, but no sign of it at Ballinskelligs.

It all seemed to be a pointless excercise.

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network#

thats gas, the map shows it going right through where I am from and I still can't get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

piskins72 wrote: »
    yes I'd agree with that also, where I am from is rural and local exchange not enabled,( when Eircom initally did Broadband years ago there was a poll done and they said only 2 local numbers requested it so it was not in their interest to upgrade!!) none of the mobile broadband really works, only at a dial up speed at the best of times and when the 3 broadband roll out was done, area was not included in it also

You may be covered under the national broadband scheme whereby 3 will have to provide broadband to you. Lots of the rural parts of Kerry are covered due to the lack of broadband infrastructure in the county. Check your address here. I know some people that are covered under it, have had it installed and they are very happy with service, speeds and price. My girlfriend is currently having a satellite broadband system put in under the scheme.

They can either give you a repeater that enhances the 3G signal in the area or if there is no signal they can provide satellite broadband.

Could be worth a try anyway. :)

Advertisement