Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I emigrate - what becomes of my pension?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    Totally clueless so hope you can help.
    Years ago I went backpacking for a year, left my private sector job and got whatever meagre amount I'd paid into my pension back.
    I returned to Ireland and I've been working in the public sector for past 8 years & paying the obligatory amounts into pension. Just wondering if we emigrate (maybe or maybe not to return again) what will become of my pension??
    Many thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It entirely depends on where you move to... and what the agreements are between Ireland and that country. You'd need a lot more details before you can get any firm answers.

For instance in the case of the EU/Switzerland, you can usually transfer your pension to a similar pension in that country, but you have limited chances to cash it in.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I would imagine that you should keep your public sector pension in place even if you do emigrate. Its likely to provide you a far better benefit then you would ever get transfering it. When it comes to retirement they woud simply pay direct to you wherever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rosemalin

Thanks for those answers. We're looking into all the options open to us here and possibly away. Staying put is looking more likely at present.

Advertisement