Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapala Lures

Options
  • 18-09-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

From any perspective, be it bass, salmon, trout, pike, etc., they have to be one of the most expensive items on the market.

In boardies experience, are they worth the money?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I do still believe they are the best, but I haven't used one in many a year, there are better value plugs out there that seem to work though, a fishing rep told me a few years ago (maybe many years ago!) that they were shipped from place of manufacture (not sure if that's Finland) to Galway to be either balanced or painted (I can't remember which) then shipped back to Finland to be packaged then shipped to the UK and then finally back to Ireland for sale!
    All that shipping must add to the price I suppose, but there is nothing stopping you from carving your own lures out of a piece of wood just like Lauri at the beginning, maybe you'll become rich from it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

There pretty good but are not the most expensive by far.I have a few of them and iv caught great fish with them and I have a few of the more expensive japanese makes which i think have a better all round finish and usually more bearings or magnets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

SeaFields wrote: »
    From any perspective, be it bass, salmon, trout, pike, etc., they have to be one of the most expensive items on the market.
    In boardies experience, are they worth the money?!

To put it simply, yes.

There are some alternatives that cost less and other alternatives that cost more.
    But Rapalas are a tried and tested solution that fish consistently take.

You should use both Rapalas and the substitutes, until a pattern emerges of superiority.
    This is not the actual lure that is superior, it is your mode of use, your style of presentation, and your faith in it's power that make the difference.
    If the best for you is a Rapala, use it.
    Copying other peoples success doesn't work so well in angling as logic suggests. So if the alternative lure works best with your retrieve, and style, that's better and the one to go for.

In short: test them all, keep a diary, use the diary/journal for longterm comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

coolwings wrote: »
    To put it simply, yes.

There are some alternatives that cost less and other alternatives that cost more.
    But Rapalas are a tried and tested solution that fish consistently take.

You should use both Rapalas and the substitutes, until a pattern emerges of superiority.
    This is not the actual lure that is superior, it is your mode of use, your style of presentation, and your faith in it's power that make the difference.
    If the best for you is a Rapala, use it.
    Copying other peoples success doesn't work so well in angling as logic suggests. So if the alternative lure works best with your retrieve, and style, that's better and the one to go for.

In short: test them all, keep a diary, use the diary/journal for longterm comparisons.

I couldn't have said it better.I used 3 euro lures (have a look at my other posts) with great success until they fell apart.but they worked great until they failed,as said above all lures have there pros and cons so its up to you as the user to find out do they work for you.But in a general scene Rapala have a good reputation.Try a few and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Where would the best value to buy them be? Any good online shops or that? I might splurge and get a couple. Ones for bass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Where would the best value to buy them be? Any good online shops or that? I might splurge and get a couple. Ones for bass.
    i have quite a few rapala's from over the yrs of trolling lough ree, and have got some good fish on them, try cabales in the usa they are a lot cheaper there than here, almost half the price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

I got some from here http://www.monstertackle.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

well you pay for the quality .ive caught many pike over the years on them.
    a good alternative are salmo lures there not as expensive but are very good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

jodie85 wrote: »
    well you pay for the quality .ive caught many pike over the years on them.
    a good alternative are salmo lures there not as expensive but are very good quality

Salmo lures are quite good!
    I always had pike on Salmo's and trout on the Rapala's. There is lures on sale in the Uk and maybe in Ireland that are Bass lures and look top notch and are more expensive than rapala, cant remenber the name of them but googling will

Here we go- http://www.basslures.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks for advice lads. Bought myself four lures this morning. Not the rapala brand but four different plug type lures, colours and sizes (aimed toward bass) and will try them tonight and tomorrow. Couldn't justify spending the bobs on rapalas just yet but santa may find some on his list come december.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hey Seafields,

I was going to stock Rapala and I too was concerned about the price point. People tell me they love the Rapalas but don't by that many due to the price. My other issue was it kind of annoyed me when they pulled production and went to cheap labour. The lure prices didnt come down so where did all that extra cash go??? I want to support Europe manufatured as best I can but its getting harder and harder.

My Dad swears by Rapala and Mepps, so I will probably stock them in the new year but I will do my best to find cheaper alternatives if I can. If anyone has suggestions of good affordable brands, please share.

Regards,
    Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

has anyone tried using the savage-gear soft 4play lures.

just got a pack of the dirty roach delivered today, gonna give them a go at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

twomeys wrote: »
    Hey Seafields,

I was going to stock Rapala and I too was concerned about the price point. People tell me they love the Rapalas but don't by that many due to the price. My other issue was it kind of annoyed me when they pulled production and went to cheap labour. The lure prices didnt come down so where did all that extra cash go??? I want to support Europe manufatured as best I can but its getting harder and harder.

My Dad swears by Rapala and Mepps, so I will probably stock them in the new year but I will do my best to find cheaper alternatives if I can. If anyone has suggestions of good affordable brands, please share.

Regards,
    Eoghan

Dont know if their in Ireland or not but www.halcotackle.com are big with Australians and are on sale at a decent price compared to Rapala.
    The lure quality is good but most change the treb's to a stronger wire.

Advertisement