Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pipe tobacco that smells like your grandads

• 17-09-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

i am enjoying my expermentation with aromatics but am wondering what brand smells like my grandparents house ? i wish i knew what brand it was just to give it a go

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Yeatsmanns plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Most likely Condor as it is probably the biggest selling pipe tobacco in ROI (possibly UK also).

Yachtsman plug is one of the older plug tobaccos alright.

I used to smoke a pipe but gave up quite a few years ago but gave up when the pub/hotel smoking ban came along.

Condor has one disadvantage .. it "haunts" a briar pipe ,
    i.e it leaves its flavour lingering and if you put a different tobacco in the pipe you will have taint from previous Condor smokes.
    Also it has quite a high nicotine hit !

Condor in ROI is most commonly sold as ready rubbed (green pouch) or plug (small green wrapper).

I had occasion to get a flaked version of Condor in Belfast once (brown pouch) and it had a less harsh flavour than green pouch Condor.

Other popular "old man" traditional tobaccos in Ireland include Mick McQuaid (blue pouch).
    Mellow Virginia is another widely sold pipe tobacco which has a sweet aroma but some pipe veterans believe it to be a bit inferior to the more traditional long standing baccys like Condor/Yachtsman/St Bruno/Mick McQuaid !

--ifc

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭YogiBoy

Hi guys. my father has suddenly decided that he wants to go back on the pipe after 30 years of absence... a last fling it seems. I've not a clue where to buy any apart from College Green / Grafton Street and I dont go in there. Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy pipe tobacco n Dublin 6, 12 or 14 ... and might there be anywhere open on a Sunday ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Craciun

A nice tobacco is amphora mellow blend, I'm trying to find it in Dublin.
    i am enjoying my expermentation with aromatics but am wondering what brand smells like my grandparents house ? i wish i knew what brand it was just to give it a go

Advertisement