Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time-Turner

Options
  • 17-09-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

Something I didn't like in the book.

It just allows too many plotholes! Since these devices existed, wizards and witches could of carried one at all times. It's hard to know how widespread they were, how many existed, how much power over time does a wizard/witch have? What exactly could you do/not do?
    It says you couldn't see yourself, yet Harry saw himself?
    Dumbledore could of carried one with him and prevented himself from being cursed?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Something I didn't like in the book.

It just allows too many plotholes! Since these devices existed, wizards and witches could of carried one at all times. It's hard to know how widespread they were, how many existed, how much power over time does a wizard/witch have? What exactly could you do/not do?
    It says you couldn't see yourself, yet Harry saw himself?
    Dumbledore could of carried one with him and prevented himself from being cursed?
    you can't change anything. Presumably government regulation restricted their availability
    apart from POA timeturners were only seen in the department of mysteries

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You can't change anything?

I thought they changed quite a bit with Buckbeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You can't change anything?

I thought they changed quite a bit with Buckbeak.

They didn't change anything. Buckbeak was never killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

It was said that the Ministry regulated the availability of the turners. The only reference to quantities of them that I can think of is in the Time Room in the Ministry in POA
    The jet of red light flew right over the Death Eater’s shoulder and
    hit a glass-fronted cabinet on the wall full of variously shaped hourglasses.
    The cabinet fell to the floor and burst apart, glass flying everywhere,
    then sprang back up onto the wall, fully mended, then fell
    down again, and shattered —
    So however many would fit into a cabinet I suppose. Although if each country has their own Ministry then they would have their own stock/supply?

With Buckbeak and Sirius, they didn't change the past, only the future.
    But then if the future hasn't happened then how do we know what would have happened.

One can only assume that had Harry/Hermy not freed Buckbeak and Sirius then Buckbeak would have gotten the chop, and Sirius gotten the good news from the Dementors.
    Since none of those incidents had happened by the time future Harry/Hermy made them happen then the past, or the future, was never altered.

For Dumbledore to prevent himself from becoming cursed then I think he would have to interfere with the space-time continuum either by revealing himself to to himself or, as future Dumbledore, take the ring himself before past Dumbledore gets there but that could have some unknown consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I never got why something apparently so highly restricted was given to a 13 year old so she could do more classes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement