Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance for first time

Options
  • 17-09-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Recently started a new job, want to start a health insurance policy.

To qualify for contributions by my employer i need to see out the probationary period, so I really want to start making contributions to a policy of my own in the next week or so.

Its all so complicated, will my employer be able to make contributions to any existing policy I have, or is it very specific?

Also what are the best sites to look to in order to compare companies, and get the best rate?

I realise my enquiries look really stupid, i Know, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The simplest thing to do would probably be to take out the plan your company has, but as an individual. Under the open enrolment laws, you can do that with no problems, though you may not get the rate the company is getting.

Alternatively, you can choose another plan, and you can then switch to the company cover when you're eligible. The time you've been on the indiviual cover will carry over to the company plan, so you don't lose credit for that time.

You can also join another insurer, but check first with them first if you can switch to another insurer mid-contract without any penalty. VHI doesn't allow mid year cancellations, so you may get a bill from them if you leave early.

In terms of websites, the best overall is probably the Health Insurance Authority's website - www.hia.ie. The HIA are a Government agency set up to monitor the health insurance market and their website includes a product selector and comparisonm tool as well as guides about picking a health insurance plan.

Also have a look at this thread for some more guidance about picking a health insurance plan - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73170577. In fact, read that thread first. There are over 200 health insurance plans out there so you'll probably only get bamboozled if you went straight to look at plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

If you are planning on joining your employer's scheme, you cannot join VHI as they will make you stay with them for a year and they will not allow them change plan either.

See if Aviva Health or Quinn Healthcare will waive your initial 26 week waiting period for new medical conditions. They won't waive for pre existing conditions though. Stay with one of the lower plans, eg Level 1 Hospital or Essential Plus Starter to keep cost down and as you won't be covered for new conditions (unless you get waiver) for the first 6 months. After 6 months change plan up to higher plan or switch to your company's plan.

Despite all VHI's extensive ad campaigns, they do not make it clear, without reading small print that one is tied into a one year contract and no changes can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

broker2008 wrote: »
    If you are planning on joining your employer's scheme, you cannot join VHI as they will make you stay with them for a year and they will not allow them change plan either.

See if Aviva Health or Quinn Healthcare will waive your initial 26 week waiting period for new medical conditions. They won't waive for pre existing conditions though. Stay with one of the lower plans, eg Level 1 Hospital or Essential Plus Starter to keep cost down and as you won't be covered for new conditions (unless you get waiver) for the first 6 months. After 6 months change plan up to higher plan or switch to your company's plan.

Despite all VHI's extensive ad campaigns, they do not make it clear, without reading small print that one is tied into a one year contract and no changes can be made.
    The problem here is that many of the insurance companies will make you wait a year to avail of a better plan. So if you start on a lower plan and move up to a better plan you may have another waiting period for some of the more expensive procedures. Check first.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The problem here is that many of the insurance companies will make you wait a year to avail of a better plan. So if you start on a lower plan and move up to a better plan you may have another waiting period for some of the more expensive procedures. Check first.

Only VHI.

Upgrade & initial waiting periods. Take advice.

Aviva have waiting periods too if you upgrade your cover (some of the new upgraded cover will not kick in until the following year although all your cover on your older plan will be fully available immediately). You should check with what ever insurer you're thinking of prior to downgrading/upgrading cover.

• Advertisement

(some of the new upgraded cover will not kick in until the following year

Not true, 2 or 5 years depending on age and only if you have a pre existing condition.

Aviva have waiting periods too if you upgrade your cover

Only if you have a pre existing condition. Changes can be made during the year with Aviva and Quinn. VHI tie you in for a year and won't let you change plan. Buyer beware of free kids !;)

I was speaking of this point:
    After 6 months change plan up to higher plan or switch to your company's plan.
    If they upgrade after 6 months they may have to wait for a year (as you do with Aviva) for the added value to cover you. This is in relation to some aspects of the upgraded plan, not all. Hence they would need to check with individual insurers.

I was speaking of this point:

If they upgrade after 6 months they may have to wait for a year (as you do with Aviva) for the added value to cover you. This is in relation to some aspects of the upgraded plan, not all. Hence they would need to check with individual insurers.

I am taking out health insurance for the first time

If you are taking out health insurance for the first time or it has been 13 weeks since you last had private health insurance with an Irish health insurer, the following waiting periods may apply.

If under 55:
    Accidents or Emergencies - none
    llnesses that develop after you join - 26 weeks
    Illnesses that develop before you join - 5 years

After 6 months, you will have been deemed to serve your initial waiting period and then by upgrading your plan you would only have a waiting period for the upgrade in cover if you have a pre existing condition. But then if one does have a pre existing condition you won't have ANY cover for the first 5 years. Otherwise you will be covered for all new conditions.

Again Quinn and Aviva would allow you upgrade your cover after six months, even after a month. As to what cover you would have is dependant on whether you have served your initial & upgrade (if relevant) waiting periods.

The point is don't take initial cover with VHI because they have no flexibilty in their plans anymore.

With Aviva, whether you're taking it out for the first time or continuing with a new insurer, if you upgrade your plan over your previous insurer or your upgrade your insurance after being on a lower Aviva plan they will make you wait up to a year for cover for some things (pre existing or new) that have been enhanced through your upgrade. I'll post links tomorrow for you.

• Advertisement

With Aviva, whether you're taking it out for the first time or continuing with a new insurer, if you upgrade your plan over your previous insurer or your upgrade your insurance after being on a lower Aviva plan they will make you wait up to a year for cover for some things (pre existing or new) that have been enhanced through your upgrade. I'll post links tomorrow for you.

I'll post them for you now:

http://www.avivahealth.ie/whats-new/aviva-news/easy-to-switch-health-insurance/index.xml

broker2008 wrote: »

I'll post them for you now:

http://www.avivahealth.ie/whats-new/aviva-news/easy-to-switch-health-insurance/index.xml
    Cheers. This is what I was talking about. Q1:
    ...no new exclusions or waiting periods as long as you are not upgrading your benefits.

And from the HIA website:

Q What happens if I switch from my current insurer and wish to return to them at a later date?

In general, health insurance policies are 12 month contracts. If you switch insurer and later decide you want to switch back, you may do so at your next renewal date. In some cases the insurers allow policy holders to switch contracts during the 12 month contract term. The insurer may only impose waiting periods for any extra benefits available on your new plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigsaver99

When upgrading a healthcare policy with any health insurer you will have a 2 year upgrade rule for any existing conditions but you will be covered immediately on the higher plan for all new conditions, your existing conditions will be covered on your existing plan at the time of upgrading for two years,

Quinn waive the initial waiting period of 26 weeks and im sure aviva do the same and you can move freely between these two companies. Check out quinn healthcares company care choice and avivas business plan select on www.hia.ie and you cant go wrong, excellent policies for under 800 euros. Most companies will pay for similar plans for employees. VHI is a no no even though they do advise that if your moving to a company paid policy they will allow you to leave but this is always not the case,

Health insurance is a minefield for people who dont know much about it

Advertisement