Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Yeast Water

Options
  • 17-09-2011 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hey I was just wondering if it was possible to make yeast water from herbs like basil & parsley.. I saw an unexplained pic of mint yeast water on a blog somewhere(no details how to go about making it though)... is it as simple as throwing stuff in a jar, adding sugar & water and feckin' off for a few days or have I missed something?

Also I'm wondering about fruit yeast water.. do you take the fruit out after a while & top it up with flour & water or what do i do with it? I can't seem to find yeast in shops so making my own seems to be my only option but I've never done it b4.. And is there like a 'best before' on homemade yeast water?

I've not made bread since 1st year home ec. but I tried making some soda bread earlier today. The result was like a rock on the outside and a bit stodgy on the inside - thanks to a certain Mrs.Allen whose site I got the recipe from (I'm sure I musta done something wrong cos Ireland's own Bree Van De Kamp couldn't have..) but I'd prefer light, 'holey', 'airy' bread to what I ended up earlier - plus I'm not really fond of that mild bi-carb zing you get with soda bread tbh - I can taste it even more when I inhale with a bit in my mouth (bleugh! - I only used a tsp like Rach said .. is it meant to be tasted? or am I just a weirdo with matching taste-buds)

Any help would be great :D
    Regards
    Cora

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cora09 wrote: »
    I can't seem to find yeast in shops so making my own seems to be my only option but I've never done it b4.
    Any supermarket should have dried yeast sachets alongside the flour. Or else ask staff (I would look for an older female staff member, young lads mightn't have a clue!)

This is the one you often see
    McDougalls-Fast-Action-Bread-Yeast-600.jpg

Tesco have an own brand one which is much cheaper. I was in an Indian shop in blackrock market in dublin (its a permanent shop open all week not just market days), and they had a big pot which I imagine was good value.

Your blog find sounded like it was making wild yeasts, which I imagine could be hit & miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

Sent himself out to have a look this morning and he found that very packet... (musta been a miracle normally he can't find stuff unless its right @ the end of his nose lol) I just could never find it... my eyes switch off sometimes when i'm looking for something in a place thats as cluttered as the baking section in shops..

And yeah thats what it is.. wild yeast (i think i watched hugh fernley make some on his rivercottage programme but I can't remember how he done it and if he used dried yeast to start it?).. sounds fairly easy & inexpensive - my kinda stuff but i've not made it b4 so I'm wide open to suggestions and tips :)

Thanks for the reply rubadub
    Regards
    Cora

Advertisement