Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music (Singing) for the leaving cert with no experience

Options
  • 16-09-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey, I'm currently doing 6 higer level subject and 2 ordinary and I was wondering should I pick up music to do as a 7th higher level subject as a back up! I would hope to get at least a B1 in it as I'm aiming very high for my leaving!
    I haven't studied music at all and cant really read sheet music but I'm wondering what do I have to do in the course if I wanted to sing! how many songs? what types or can it be any and what do I have to study!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Bad idea. Just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Bad idea. Just leave it at that.
    +1, far too much if you've never studied music before, really not a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I implore you to forget that you ever had this idea, for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

As a music teacher Alan I would have to (unfortunately!) agree with the other posters.

Reading sheet music, especially for multiple instruments as is required in the music exam, is an extremely difficult thing to leant to do in one year. The standard they look for in Higher Level Music is to be able to read music, compose music, perform music and aurally identify musical features to a Grade 5 or above level (in RIAM or LCM exams). To be able to do this confidently and efficiently is something you need to work at for at least 3 years... and that's before you get to the performance aspect at all!!!!

Let me dispel the rumour-LEAVING CERT MUSIC IS NOT EASY!

I would concentrate more on your languages and other higher level subjects.

Best of luck! :)

Advertisement