Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I want to open a campground on my land

Options
  • 16-09-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I want to open a campground on my land, I have put alot of the infastructure in: Toilets, showers, cabins, and prepaired the ground for camping with tents.

I need to know about practicle concerns like insurance, planning, advertising, Health and safety, legal concerns.

I don't know where to begin! Ive spent alot of money on the work so far and need to get practicle about things fast! redface.gif

I also have a large farm barn on the site I want to use for art and creative events and also rent it for partys as part of the campsite buisness, I need to know about planning, fire regulations, event insurance.

Any advice would be awesome! Has anyone experience in this kind of venture I would love to hear any advice out there thankyou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

sorry cant help you
    just to wish you the best of luck
    post a link to your location
    im sure the mods wont mind
    great to hear of a positive attitude with a business opening in this climate(not the weather)
    good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Aggh are you serious,have you not done it backwards,,,you have spent loads of money puting in facilities etc,and now you decide to look into EVERTHING else,,,,Id say at a wild guess that you might be takeing the piss,,,,i hope you are anyway,,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 miss moonshine

Thankyou for the well wishes, I really don't want to disclose my location online untill im ready to. its North-West Ireland in a torist location is all I will say.

And to the person thinking Im taking the piss, Im not and Im totally serious, I really would like to here from anyone who has any advice that is usefull to me or anyone who has been involved in campground venture before.

Thankyou :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think planning permission might be your first thing, if you've gone ahead with unauthorised developments! Insurance, Legal, Health & Safety would all fall out from that would be my guess.

Thankyou for your reply! I have planning for the structures. Im not sure If I need some kind of change of use for the land planning?
    :0

• Advertisement

The barn is just cleared out really with some furniture in it, does anyne know if it needs a change of use planning? from an existing farm building?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The barn is just cleared out really with some furniture in it, does anyne know if it needs a change of use planning? from an existing farm building?

Your county council will have planning guidelines that will answer all your questions. I suggest you go in to the planning office and ask whatever questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thankyou for your reply! I have planning for the structures. Im not sure If I need some kind of change of use for the land planning?
    :0
    No idea, as John says, planning department should be able to help. Ask if though you haven't done it yet, if you're worried. They'll also be able to tell you what you need to do to get full permission for the site. And/or ask advice of engineers that handle planning applications.

Thinking about it, maybe a county enterprise board would be able to help and advise on getting up and running?

Ah thankyou! the county enterprise board may be agood idea, they probably have delt with a simular project, I would really like to hear a bit of a case study on someones experience with this kind of venture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

While I'd agree with other posters that it would have been wise to do the planning bit first, given that you have planning for the structures I doubt you'd have any great trouble with planning for a campsite. I know one couple who had no bother and they are beside a SAC (special area of conservation).

Have a think about grant aid from Leader or the likes, rural enterprise gets encouraged.

Have a look at purecamping.ie and maybe send them an email

Not sure what others think, but I suspect you;d need to be set up for caravans and motorhomes to make a commercial go of things. If you look at any of the sites around Ireland its relatively rare to see people in tents - or where they do appear they are very much in the minority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brendini

I am sure your insurance company will address with you what you and they will need from a H&S,legal,Enviornmental point of view.

Under the H&S at work act 2005 you have a duty of care to all who use the workplace,information is available on www.hsa.ie.

Advertisement