Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing amount paid on direct debit

Options
  • 16-09-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭

Do banks not have to let us know when they are changing (usually increasing) the amount taken on a mortgage paid by direct debit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

No, direct debits are variable amounts eg mortgage, electricity. phone etc. Standing orders (do they still do these?) would be for a fixed amount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No, direct debits are variable amounts eg mortgage, electricity. phone etc. Standing orders (do they still do these?) would be for a fixed amount.

God yeah standing orders are still very commonplace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Yes I understand that DD is for a variable amount but if my tv provider etc alerts me when the monthly payment changes, why does the bank not do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Your bank should have written to you if your rate changed, say due to ECB rate changes, check with them, make sure they sent it. Post dosnt arrive sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes I understand that DD is for a variable amount but if my tv provider etc alerts me when the monthly payment changes, why does the bank not do the same?

My understanding is because their variable rates are published (newspapers/online etc). Therefore, you can determine what the amount will be. Other bills (electricity/gas/telephone etc) are different as they have to inform you what they are charging for (ie, the number of units of electricity/minutes of telephone usage etc)

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    My understanding is because their variable rates are published (newspapers/online etc). Therefore, you can determine what the amount will be.

Yes, I wondered was that how they got away with it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I understand the rules have changed recently and every customer has now to be written to. An ad in a paper is not sufficient. Banks now have to say how much the repayment is changing by

Any chance you know when that came in and where I can check it up? Someone else did tell me that the Office of the Financial Regulator told them the bank had to notify you when changing amount but I need to have that proof for myself. Thanks

Advertisement