Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying horses?

Options
  • 16-09-2011 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Ok so I have €500 to invest.
    I've been reading the few logs in the logs section and laying seems to be the way to earn cash.

Should I start laying for say €20 on 10-1 shots and such?
    Or should I trade with this cash?

What would you do to earn some extra money say double your money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

Don't bother you have no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

I find it helps to set a target figure and then find a horse at a price that will get you to that target if you place your bet on it. what is your target figure? Personally with €500 I'd be looking to get that to 4k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Interesting way of helping eachother.

laying and backing have a common requirement: you need to be able to price up the event yourself and back or lay depending on the odds. Blindly laying horses for 40% of your bank is not a good plan. If only it were that simple.

it takes time and a lot of effort to learn how to price up one market and its the only way to make money in this game.

I find it helps to set a target figure and then find a horse at a price that will get you to that target if you place your bet on it. what is your target figure? Personally with ?500 I'd be looking to get that to 4k or so.

you talk some amount of nonsense.

im going to ring your mother and tell her to cancel the internet subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Well I am going to ring your mother, ask her out and then bang her.

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Danny911

R0UF wrote: »
    Don't bother you have no chance.
    Good man yourself
    I find it helps to set a target figure and then find a horse at a price that will get you to that target if you place your bet on it. what is your target figure? Personally with €500 I'd be looking to get that to 4k or so.
    4k would be lovely, but a realistic figure with €500 and how to get there would be even better..
    Interesting way of helping eachother.

laying and backing have a common requirement: you need to be able to price up the event yourself and back or lay depending on the odds. Blindly laying horses for 40% of your bank is not a good plan. If only it were that simple.

it takes time and a lot of effort to learn how to price up one market and its the only way to make money in this game.
    Dont they just :D

:P

Any other advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Just be ready for a big loss,possibly a few.

Laying around 10/1 shots can be dangerous,just make sure your ready for a big liability.

Also,when I lay I find it better to lay in races such as sellers or claimers or races where horses are on level weights with different ratings. Remember,handicap races are weighted so that they're all as even as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Well I am going to ring your mother, ask her out and then bang her.

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

I don't think I've laughed as much all week. Like something I'd say.

Puberty is a requirement for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Danny911 wrote: »
    Ok so I have €500 to invest.
    I've been reading the few logs in the logs section and laying seems to be the way to earn cash.

Should I start laying for say €20 on 10-1 shots and such?
    Or should I trade with this cash?

What would you do to earn some extra money say double your money?
    I think laying is the way to go,my favoured sport for laying is golf when the event is over 4 days and one can trade out of a position.Laying horses is much trickier as one has to lay much greater odds than the odds offered by bookmakers in order to have lay bets accepted and if one is laying outsiders a huge chunk of cash is required to win a reasonable sum if you lay one that wins at a decent price it can be painful.One method you might consider is laying favs,the difference in price between betfair and bookies is minimal if concentrate on favs at 3 to 1 or less.It requires some skill to select the right kind of favs to lay,one of my own methods is to lay "talking horses" as they start at prices shorter than value due to the hype.Its a good feeling when you find one of those,also antepost can provide a few quid and often the horse in question doesnt even run.

• Advertisement

You need to know an awful awful lot about racing before you can hope to consistently make a few quid from laying horses on Betfair. It'll take time and lots of research, you'll need to have an appreciation of what a handicap is, how the trip and ground effects the horses etc etc. Lots and lots to learn.

Laying looney short priced horses tipped up by all the papers etc isn't a bad place to start for tiny stakes, they represent the greatest value to lay. Find a horse that has ground to suit, trip to suit and not many other horses running against and with the conditions suiting the lay horse more than the rest and you can be pretty sure it'll be overbet. Most of these will trade shorter in running long before push comes to shove so an in running lay at 80% of the SP may be worthwhile.

tough game though, all I can advise you to do is study form, watch the races, read books about gambling and betting and stick to tiny stakes and paper trading before trying to swell your €500. If you don't enjoy studying form etc you may as well not start.

Most punters lose so unless you are pretty good at it you will too unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Horses certainly isn't my area but I'd recommend not exposing more than 5% of your bank. What if two horses romped home at the stakes you suggested? You'd be done and dusted in terms of your bank. Be the turtle with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sillyturd

The fact that you are asking means you have no chance.

People who know don't tell and people who tell don't know ;)

Stick the €500 in the Trocaire Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Advertisement