Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBookPro v Imac

Options
  • 16-09-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm a web designer for an it company and they are offering a new mac as my current laptop is 4 years old, i sometimes bring it along to clients to show work so ideally a laptop seems like a given. Not so apparently, someone told me recently its better value to buy an imac, also working off a monitor from your laptop is counter productive. One thing buddy, you cant drag an imac to a client meeting!.. I am very torn. Any Ideas?

Thanks

mac v imac 8 votes

macbook pro (monitor in work)
    0% 0 votes
    imac (old mac for clients)
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The iMac will be considerably cheaper as there's no portability that comes with it. Which is one reason why the pricing will be higher for the Pro.

I had a simular dilemma a few weeks ago and I wasn't sure which I should go for. I decided I needed to have a portable computer and I went for the MacBook Pro. Then in a few weeks I'll probably pick up the thunderbolt display. You get the best of both worlds. However the price will be considerably higher. But you could go for a cheaper alternative monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Macbook Pro and an external monitor. You will have the advantage of dual screens in the office and the portability when offsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you opt for the MBP be aware that you could have a bit of hassle connecting it to your present monitor.

I have a NEC 24" MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2 (2009) monitor on my desk which has worked perfectly with various Mac minis, a 2006 MBP with DVI connection and a 2010 MBP with mini Display Port.

Yesterday I hooked up my new MBP to the screen for the first time and after 15 minutes the display started to flicker every few seconds. Apple support's suggested solution is to buy a VGA adapter for €30 and use a VGA cable - no guarantee it will work but there is a firmware update for the Apple VGA adapter which fixes 'most' flicker issues.

I've tried the screen with a second 2011 MBP and it also has the flicker. My conclusion is that either the mini Display Port on the 2011 MBP is a piece of dirt or there has been a change in the OS X Lion driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Talisman wrote: »
    If you opt for the MBP be aware that you could have a bit of hassle connecting it to your present monitor.

I have a NEC 24" MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2 (2009) monitor on my desk which has worked perfectly with various Mac minis, a 2006 MBP with DVI connection and a 2010 MBP with mini Display Port.

Yesterday I hooked up my new MBP to the screen for the first time and after 15 minutes the display started to flicker every few seconds. Apple support's suggested solution is to buy a VGA adapter for €30 and use a VGA cable - no guarantee it will work but there is a firmware update for the Apple VGA adapter which fixes 'most' flicker issues.

I've tried the screen with a second 2011 MBP and it also has the flicker. My conclusion is that either the mini Display Port on the 2011 MBP is a piece of dirt or there has been a change in the OS X Lion driver.

It's more likely to be a driver change tbh. You should wait for 10.7.2 which should be out very soon apparently it includes many display fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i too suffered from the same dilemma, i bought a mac book pro in the end and also got dvi adaptor, so now i can use my external monitor but tbh when you use any other monitor after looking at the mac screen, it looks really dull :pac:

also to show case to clients, obvious choice is mbp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Macbook Pro plus internal display here too. More expensive, but definitely worth the convenience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think you know the answer yourself.....Macbook pro using your monitor in work. Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vinnyobrien

cool, thanks all. got the pro.

Advertisement