Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would there be any point in complaining.

Options
  • 16-09-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭

Last weekend a block was put on my atm card I bank with NIB who say they have 24 hour customer care but they don't its a Monday to Friday 9 to 5,
    I could have been really suck I could have been abroad, I could have needed shopping, or petrol or anything, I could have had to pay a hotel bill.

I was at work for the weekend so I was grand I couldn't find out what was happing yet with ebanking I knew I had lots of money ( but not way of getting it)

On Monday at 9.15 I recive a phone call to say because I had purchased two lots of phone credit in very quick succession on Friday afternoon thy deamed it unusual and blocked my card:confused:, without phoning me or letting me know in any way, the girl I was talking to said there is no one you can contact at the weekend except to report a stolen card.

Should I complain and who should I complain to, I would be nervous about what could happen if I was abroad and this happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

send a letter to their complaints department detailing what happened and what difficulties it caused u. ask them to outline their policy with regards to blocking atm cards

2 call credit purchases in quick succession would (probably )be of low value and should not cause suspension of your atm card.

if they do it again i'd change banks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you lost your card or had it stolen you'd have ended up in the same situation i.e. no access to cash so you need a plan B for when/if that happens.

Is there a 24 hour NIB hotline to report a lost or stolen card? I'd ring the same number to see why they blocked it and ask them to unblock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

They told me the hot line for reporting stolen cards knows noting about blocked cards and has not access to customer accounts, in fact my card was stolen a few years ago at the weekend and when I phoned the hot line it was a call centre in south Africa ( I think ) who did not realise that Irish surname often have an o' in them and couldn't find my name to block the card:confused:

Of course at home I wont't to be stuck but what if I was in a petrol station on my way home from work and went to purchases petrol and say I had forgot my mobile phone ( could happen ) what them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

"I could have"

"What if"

If you complain, stick to what actually happened - not what might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If there is suspicious activity on a credit or laser card you would expect the bank to call you on your mobile (do you have one?) in order to ask you a personal question (DOB, mother's maiden name, state how much petrol you bought last Monday at xxxx filling station) and validate that the activity is kosher.

If you're abroad they will sometimes call the merchant and ask to speak to the customer to suss you out, most thieves would be out the door at that stage. In your case they obviously did neither, sounds like you were zapped by a computer system.

It's unacceptable for them to simply block the card, that's assuming that they have a mobile number on file for you. If they have no way of contacting you then I'm afraid you don't have a leg to stand on, they are within their rights to protect themselves from fraudulent activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 john212

not acceptable to block card based on their asumptions that transactions were faudulant (two small mobile top transactions in ireland). contact them and request they phone you on your mobile if they ever suspect a fradulant transaction is taking palce - that way they rpotected and you protected!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 john212

contact them and get them to phone you on your mobile before they ever block your card again - that way you can confirm the transaction or agree to block card if fraud happeinng - win win for you and the them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Thanks all, but the point is that there NO contactable customer services available on the weekend, so if a computer blocks your card because of pre-set parameters there is NO one available to contact you even if they have my mobile (which they do ) and my home phone and email. That is why I was only phoned on Monday morning, I am sure if it happened during the week I would have been contacted as soon as it was blocked.

THERE IS NO ONE AVAILABLE AT the WEEKEND IN NIB WHO CAN DO ANYTHING. Possible because they are too mean/ cost conscious to do so.

Have had some what of an explication from them i.e they have had problems with phone credit fraud so the computer is set up to block cards that buy more that one set of phone credit for two different numbers ( one was for my daughter ) in very quick succession.

I am not stupid nor am I am moaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

Suggest to NIB that you want to move your account to a bank with 24/7 customer service?

I thought NIB was owned by Danske in Denmark - surely they are big enough to do 24/7 customer support for that organisation?

Advertisement