Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRRS Dublin Dates

Options
  • 15-09-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭

The following are the dates for the winter schedule for the IRRS's Dublin railway talks.

22nd Sep 2011 Renewal of Botswana Railways Signaling & Telecommunications Infrastructure; Gerald Beesley

13th Oct 2011 The Reconstruction of Malahide Viaduct; Liam Meagher, Structural Engineer Iarnród Éireann.

27th Oct 2011 Kodachrome and the railway photographer; Mark Hodge

10th Nov 2011 The Modernisation of Irish Rail 1997-2010; Oliver Doyle

24th Nov 2011 Members Slide Show; Irish subjects

28th Nov 2011 (Monday) Annual Dinner at Ivan’s Oyster Bar & Grill, East Pier, Howth

8th Dec 2011 Selected images from the late Norman McAdams photo collection.

Admission to all of these meetings is free with parking validated.

The library opens every Tuesday from 19:30 to 21:45 for research and lending of materials. Access can be made outside of these hours with arrangement, contact archivist@irrs.ie for more information :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

24th Nov 2011 - Members Slide Show; Irish subjects

Just a reminder to those who might be interested, that the above show is on tomorrow night, and usually lives up to good expectations for producing nice old images from the CIE/IE era.

Start 7:45pm
    Location - for those always wondering where(!).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Just a reminder to those who might be interested, that the above show is on tomorrow night, and usually lives up to good expectations for producing nice old images from the CIE/IE era.

I will be there, hope to see you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is it possible to stick the decks from these up on flickr or IRRS web sites ?

This was an excellent show. Some of the American slides had open lines that would actually make the Colooney line look newly laid!

trellheim wrote: »
    Is it possible to stick the decks from these up on flickr or IRRS web sites ?
    Sorry I do not understand, decks/buildings?
    This was an excellent show. Some of the American slides had open lines that would actually make the Colooney line look newly laid!

It was a good show, except the hiccups early on, but some great slides were on show, and some as you noted were foreign but were equally interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sorry I do not understand, decks/buildings?

Slide decks = cartridges = the photos is the only possible meaning I can extract?

It was a good show, except the hiccups early on, but some great slides were on show, and some as you noted were foreign but were equally interesting.

Were you at the slide show last year when Dan Reneghan must have interjected to correct and clarify that many points that some of us reckoned he was as well to have just given it:D

Were you at the slide show last year when Dan Reneghan must have interjected to correct and clarify that many points that some of us reckoned he was as well to have just given it:D
    I must not have been, I've never met the Reneghans, but I do know he's an expert alright!

This week's show is on this Thursday - Dec 8th, titled:

'Vintage Mainline & Branchline Scenes - from the late Norman McAdam's Photo Collection as presented by Ciarán Cooney'

1960s CIE steam/diesel photos to be expected.

Start, as usual 7:45pm.

as presented by Ciarán Cooney'

That gob****e? :D;):p

• Advertisement

That gob****e? :D;):p

Yes he sure does get around lol.:D

Yes he sure does get around lol.:D

I'll be there, throwing rotten fruit and veg at you him :)

I must not have been, I've never met the Reneghans, but I do know he's an expert alright!

If you are ever to sit down and listen to one man talk about railways then it has to be Dan Renehan. The guys knowledge on literally everything, everywhere and everyone he has come across over his career defies belief and yet he is as humble and friendly a man as you'd want. Somebody in the IRRS should try and preserve him he is that invaluable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Agree 100% about Dan and his brother Tony. Those men have an unbelievable knowledge of our railways. And very witty too!

Advertisement