Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the flesh...

Options
  • 15-09-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Inspired by 04072511's great post in another thread, and Teemu Selanne's announcement that he is to play on again this season, who are the biggest NHL legend's you have had the chance to see play in the flesh, or had the privilege of meeting?

Though the closest I have come to meeting a player is spending a morning drinking with Brooks Orpiks parents, I do feel privileged that in the 2-point-5 NHL games I have seen live, I have seen Mark Recchi, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Brendan Shanahan, Alex Kovalev and Jaromir Jagr play, all of whom are either 1000 point players or on their way to that total. As well as that, seeing Vezina and Norris trophy winners Ryan Miller and Zdeno Chara were also high points.

With Selanne set to play on, I'll hopefully have a chance to see him in October before he (finally!) calls an end to a 20 year career.

So, who've you seen? Anyone seen Gretzky or Lemieux? Ovechkin? Brodeur? Gordie Howe? Bobby Orr? Colton Orr? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Iv not seen any yet. But the the day after we came back from new York last yr one of the teams were in the NHL store. Was raging I missed it. Hopefully this time round I'll get too see some one. Rangers are playing flyers at home so I may get too see some. Would love too meet brain Boyle as he's got the same last name as me.

Would love too meet teemu selanne. Love the ducks since day one. Are you going too the NHL games in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

cena wrote: »
    Would love too meet teemu selanne. Love the ducks since day one. Are you going too the NHL games in Europe

I'm going to the two games in Stockholm, yeah. Rangers-Kings and Rangers-Ducks.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'm going to the two games in Stockholm, yeah. Rangers-Kings and Rangers-Ducks.

Theres no tickets left for the ducks game right.
    Where is the best place too get them if there still on sale

There does seem to still be some availability. http://www.livenation.se/ is the official site, click "EN" in the top right for the English site.

There does seem to still be some availability. http://www.livenation.se/ is the official site, click "EN" in the top right for the English site.

What would be the best ticket. VIP looks really good. If I go would love too hard back the same night. Hotel is abit dear

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    What would be the best ticket. VIP looks really good. If I go would love too hard back the same night. Hotel is abit dear

The rinkside A seats would be best, but they'll cost you a fortune. Nearly €200 each... The "kortsida" ones behind the goals at rink level are €90 each, I have them for one of the games and the high level "C" tickets for the other game.

Very expensive city for accomodation, I'm renting an apartment for 5 nights as it is cheaper than most hotels.

The rinkside A seats would be best, but they'll cost you a fortune. Nearly €200 each... The "kortsida" ones behind the goals at rink level are €90 each, I have them for one of the games and the high level "C" tickets for the other game.

Very expensive city for accomodation, I'm renting an apartment for 5 nights as it is cheaper than most hotels.

90 is grand that's what I'd be welling too pay. How much are flights. Who's best to fly with. I'd rather not stay over night. Just want too see the ducks.

I think Ryanair only do Thursday flights over and Monday back, thats what I'm on. Really doubt you'd get over and back the same day from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I played and had a few beers with the boston bruins alumni team about 2 years ago. Fun guys!

Ray Bourque wasnt there, shame really, hes a hockey idol to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I guess I can say that I have seen them all play in person.

Wayne Gretzky with the Oilers, Kings, Blues and Rangers (met him while he was coach.owner of Phoenix

Bobby Orr with the Blackhawks

Bobby Hull with the Jets (had the pleasure/misfortune of meeting him many times of the past 15 years or so when Brett was still playing and at the United Center where he is now a 'team ambassador for the Blackhawks)

Mario Lemieux - had the misfortune of seeing him lift the Cup in the Chicago Stadium. If his health issues hadn't affected his career he may have eclipsed Gretzky. I have met him several times since then.

Alexander Ovechkin - While working for a now defunct airline, I flew to Washington to see him play his rookie year against the Blackhawks. I was moving to Ireland the following month and knew that it was a 'now or never' opportunity. The only problem was that I could fly to Washington for free. i had no way to get home that night. I asked then Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon for a lift home. He let me fly with the team back to Chicago after the game. Very, very cool guy.

Gordie Howe - saw him play at the end of his career with Hartford.

• Advertisement

Wayne Gretzky with the Oilers, Kings, Blues and Rangers (met him while he was coach.owner of Phoenix

Bobby Hull with the Jets (had the pleasure/misfortune of meeting him many times of the past 15 years or so when Brett was still playing and at the United Center where he is now a 'team ambassador for the Blackhawks)

Mario Lemieux - had the misfortune of seeing him lift the Cup in the Chicago Stadium. If his health issues hadn't affected his career he may have eclipsed Gretzky. I have met him several times since then.

Alexander Ovechkin - While working for a now defunct airline, I flew to Washington to see him play his rookie year against the Blackhawks. I was moving to Ireland the following month and knew that it was a 'now or never' opportunity. The only problem was that I could fly to Washington for free. i had no way to get home that night. I asked then Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon for a lift home. He let me fly with the team back to Chicago after the game. Very, very cool guy.

Lucky sh*t! Any interest in the fantasy NHL this year?

Already in two. I had my hands full with just one last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Heading to NYC in November and have tickets for devils vs jets, can't wait for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Woooow!!!!:eek:

What do you do for living???
    That list is like the best of the hall of fame!!!

Izy wrote: »
    Woooow!!!!:eek:

What do you do for living???
    That list is like the best of the hall of fame!!!

I work in IT, but while going to school and getting some certifications,I took a job at the United Center. I swore that I was only going to be there for a few months. I got promoted twice in that time period and ended up staying six years (much to the dismay of my wife). Once I took the job I got to know the players, coaches and staff. I ended up working with the website/message boards as a favour for a friend. Let's just say that it was some of the coolest times of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

We had this fella drop the puck at the Nottingham Ice Arena tonight, Jari Kurri... 5 times Stanley Cup winner no the less! :)

sorry for the poor quality of the picture by the way

picture.php?albumid=909&pictureid=13979

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

the only NHL player i've ever met in person, was steve chaisson. i have a calgary hat, puck and a few cards signed by him not too long before he died in that crash!
    never had the chance to see a live NHL game. maple leaf gardens was the closest arena, but tickets were waaaaaay outta my price range. probably still expensive, now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Mark Recchi, saw him play in Belfast couple seasons ago for the Bruins during their pre season tour.

A team member they sorely missed last season.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Mark Recchi, saw him play in Belfast couple seasons ago for the Bruins during their pre season tour.

A team member they sorely missed last season.

5049106288_87ed72f47c.jpg
    Mark Recchi by MrJoeSoap, on Flickr

A picture I took that night.

We had this fella drop the puck at the Nottingham Ice Arena tonight, Jari Kurri... 5 times Stanley Cup winner no the less! :)

sorry for the poor quality of the picture by the way

picture.php?albumid=909&pictureid=13979

I met Jari Kurri before the last lockout. He was scouting for the Finnish National Team before the last World Cup back in 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Well the panthers have signed 'canes winger Anthony Stewart due to the lock out - so I suppose I will see him in the flesh next match

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Panthers-sign-NHL-lock-winger-Stewart/story-16975265-detail/story.html

will be interesting to see just how big a gap there is between him and the rest of the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Been to a fair few Rangers games, against the likes of the Devils, Islanders, Hurricanes & Penguins. So I have seen plenty of top players, the most notable for me being King Henrik, Crosby & Ovechkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

I make due going to see Calgary hitmen games each week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Not sure where to post this but just heard the Islanders will be moving to the Barclays center in 2015. (Brooklyn nets basketball arena) Its a great arena apparently !

Not sure where to post this but just heard the Islanders will be moving to the Barclays center in 2015. (Brooklyn nets basketball arena) Its a great arena apparently !

Was just reading that this second. Will be interesting to see what kind of attendances they get. Outside of Phoenix they're the worst supported team in the league. The capacity for Ice Hockey will be around 14,500, which should hold them comfortably.

There are a couple of KHL games scheduled to take place there next year also, that should be interesting!

Advertisement