Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Devonian predatory fish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The skull actually looks like it's laughing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Probably being told fishy jokes does that to it.

Interesting looking creature isn't it. I like the way it is pictured in shallow water too. Do we know if that was in fact how it lived?

According to Wiki it was first described in 1941. I'm guessing from fragmentary remains.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laccognathus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »

Interesting looking creature isn't it. I like the way it is pictured in shallow water too. Do we know if that was in fact how it lived?

It makes sense- Tiktaalik was found in the same site, and it was probably not living in deep water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SvenLittkowski

I would like to know more, like who found the fossils, where exactly, and what the exact age of the fossil is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Rubecula wrote: »

I'd imagine that it filled a similar niche as the modern Catfish. Slow moving rivers, lakes and ponds. Still, dark shallow. That kind of thing.

I would like to know more, like who found the fossils, where exactly, and what the exact age of the fossil is.

Apparently a different species of Laccognathus has been known since 1941. More information below:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laccognathus

Advertisement