Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserves in DMR

Options
  • 15-09-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here before.

I'm a serving member of the GR in the west and have been since 2008.

I'm moving to Dublin city center for a few years and thinking of transferring to one of the city center stations.

Can anyone advise me (GR or full time member) as to which station would be best to move to as regards usage of the Garda Reserve.

To any of the reserves working in a city center station what what duties do you carry out on shift and what shifts do you do? As I would assume that it would be different to what we do here in the west where it is not as busy. (not saying that the full times lads in the west are not busy because they are, but you know what I mean)

Thank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Big-Mac wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Dublin city center for a few years and thinking of transferring to one of the city center stations.

Can anyone advise me (GR or full time member) as to which station would be best to move to as regards usage of the Garda Reserve.

To any of the reserves working in a city center station what what duties do you carry out on shift and what shifts do you do? As I would assume that it would be different to what we do here in the west where it is not as busy. (not saying that the full times lads in the west are not busy because they are, but you know what I mean)

Thank.

Ah look who found our public forum, don't be writing Kerry off for Sunday :D

Thanks for writing here what you were asking me via pm. I'm sure if people had info they will either write here or contact you via pm.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

In the absence of another reply, I often see Dublin Reserves on the beat in the city center.

What do you currently do in your station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Why don't you ask one of the serving regular members in your current station for their advise, they would be best placed to answer that as most regulars would have spent time in Dublin or know of someone serving up there! Other than that I would say as you would know yourself it isn't right to grade stations for example the best and the worst.... It depends on what you want from a station and your role as a GR that determines a suitable station...
    I would say that is your best avenue at this stage.
    Good luck on your move and thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big-Mac

Why don't you ask one of the serving regular members in your current station for their advise, they would be best placed to answer that as most regulars would have spent time in Dublin or know of someone serving up there! Other than that I would say as you would know yourself it isn't right to grade stations for example the best and the worst.... It depends on what you want from a station and your role as a GR that determines a suitable station...
    I would say that is your best avenue at this stage.
    Good luck on your move and thank you .

Yes I already asked quite a few the regular lads and got great info regarding the different city centre stations. What I am really asking is which station seem to put the reserve members to the best use and uses us to our full potential, this they can not really help me with.

I dont feel this is ranking best to worst, more which station you would be involved in more duties.

As reserve members will know the duties GR's carry out varies from station to station.

If you are GR serving in the city centre just list a typical day/night from start to finish, the duties you carry out and the area that particular station covers.

Any other comments please pm me as I feel comments other then what I have listed shouldn't really be discussed in an open forum.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

As reserve members will know the duties GR's carry out varies from station to station.

Perhaps if you cared to state what duties you do in your station someone would be willing to state if theirs is broadly similar or what they know of surrounding areas....

• Advertisement

TylerIE wrote: »
    Perhaps if you cared to state what duties you do in your station someone would be willing to state if theirs is broadly similar or what they know of surrounding areas....

No problem. What reserves do in my station is weekend shift Friday and Saturday, Sunday if its a bank holiday. 8pm to 4am or 10pm to 6am.

Town patrol on foot or in the public order van or in the car (not as observer) and help with any check points if there is any to be done.

Any events such as big football matches, mini marathon, St Patrick's day etc... town patrol on foot or maybe static duties on a particular street or junction.

Great bunch of people both regulars and reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

welcome big mac!

i reckon you would love kill o the grange garda station, would be quite similar to what your used to

enjoy the big smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

DMR North is well looked after with regards to getting reserves to do events; get texts in advance to sign up to them, matches, concerts etc. Occasionally MAT and traffic. Sometimes get the call for Croker or the Aviva

I reckon it depends on the station if you will be doing foot patrol or mostly in the car. I would say that most units and ComPol in most stations have Reserves attached to them and know how to use them.
    Are encouraged to work with assigned regular unit as much as we can (great for experience and for them to get to know you) and then do events as additional duty when it suits your own schedule.

If you want any advise on particular stations etc. drop me a PM.

djh wrote: »
    DMR North is well looked after with regards to getting reserves to do events; get texts in advance to sign up to them, matches, concerts etc. Occasionally MAT and traffic. Sometimes get the call for Croker or the Aviva

I reckon it depends on the station if you will be doing foot patrol or mostly in the car. I would say that most units and ComPol in most stations have Reserves attached to them and know how to use them.
    Are encouraged to work with assigned regular unit as much as we can (great for experience and for them to get to know you) and then do events as additional duty when it suits your own schedule.

If you want any advise on particular stations etc. drop me a PM.

Thanks djh, that's the type of information I'm looking for. Working with a unit is handy as then at least you know for sure when your on, some people I have spoken to don't like it but I think it's the only way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

Thanks djh, that's the type of information I'm looking for. Working with a unit is handy as then at least you know for sure when your on, some people I have spoken to don't like it but I think it's the only way to do it.

Totally agree, working with the same unit is the way to go, get used to them and they get used to you and treat you as part of the team.
    Can easily arrange times then with the skipper that suit you to work, and you can get into a routine that suits.

All depends on where you will be working/living when you move to Dublin I suppose, and how easy it will be to get to/from a particular station.
    Drop me a PM if you'd like to know any specifics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mayodub

Big - Mac best of luck with your transfer... I just need to make a small but important comment and one which all Garda Reserves should note.. You are not a member of the Garda Reserves, no such group or seperate entity exists. You are a member of An Garda Siochana and you hold the rank of Reserve. Hope all goes well for you in the Capital!!
    Hi everyone,

Thank.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

If you are GR serving in the city centre just list a typical day/night from start to finish, the duties you carry out and the area that particular station covers.

Any other comments please pm me as I feel comments other then what I have listed shouldn't really be discussed in an open forum.

Thanks

Hey, I'm in the city centre and have to say I love it. I'm biased but think the station I'm in is a great one to work in. We're all assigned to a particular unit so that you get to know the other members on the unit much better that way. 95% of the time beat work is involved. Very little if any station based work. You get occasional time in the car / van but that's the same for the full time members too. Obviously in the city centre with a large proportion of retail areas you get a lot of shoplifting calls, and plenty of public order stuff on a friday and saturday night with thousands of people crossing the liffey from Temple Bar and all congregating outside the fast food places at the top of O'Connell street. Occasional traffic checkpoints on a quiet night and we've been used for MAT checkpoints too. Croker is in our district so get to work matches and concerts there too as well as concerts in the 02 and we can also work at the Aviva which makes a nice change of scenery. Lots and lots of interaction with the public, get to know the area well if you end up working there because you get asked for all sorts of directions, even so much as where is the nearest Indian takeaway. If you have an iphone I highly recommend getting the dublinbuster app because you will get asked about where particular bus stops are a lot and the google translate app is great for dealing with shoplifters who don't speak english...! The full time members are what really make it a great station to work in, if you put the effort in, give a helping hand when needed they will respect and value you and they are extremely welcoming and friendly. Hope this gives you a rough outline of what its like, PM me if you want any more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

A great post above!

The more I read on this forum the more I cannot wait for that email/call to come. Passed my medical in August, so just waiting now.

With regards DMR Reserves, I usually have a look out for them, I never used to see many, but over the last couple of weeks they're everywhere.
    There were a good few at the All Ireland in Croker (hey Kerry!), as I seen them everywhere, doing different duties throughout the day.

Have only passed one checkpoint where I noted a GR working, very polite, and full of confidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

mayodub wrote: »
    Big - Mac best of luck with your transfer... I just need to make a small but important comment and one which all Garda Reserves should note.. You are not a member of the Garda Reserves, no such group or seperate entity exists. You are a member of An Garda Siochana and you hold the rank of Reserve. Hope all goes well for you in the Capital!!

Well said m8 could not have put it better myself.:)

Quick update: thanks for the info guys... Since I have moved up I havent had any time what's so ever so GR has take a back seat big time. Hoping to put in some hours over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Quick update: thanks for the info guys... Since I have moved up I havent had any time what's so ever so GR has take a back seat big time. Hoping to put in some hours over the Christmas.

Thanks for the update Big-Mac. Hope you're happy up in Dublin though and you settle in well with your new unit :)

Advertisement