Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new project-build a mountain bike

Options
  • 15-09-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

hi guys, i was chatting to someone lately who suggested building a bike instead of purchasing one new.i have been looking on a few sites and there are some great deals out there for frames(ebay etc). i know a little about bikes but im not sure id know enough to put it all together when i purchase the other parts, i have a bit of money saved so i can buy the frame straight away and over the next few weeks everytime ive money saved i can purchase bits and pieces.

anyway i am thinking of a specialized stumpjumper (dual suspension) frame for starters!
    also i can buy parts on the cycle to work scheme if necessary

let me know what you think, am i mad even to consider such a project, i think it would be very intresting and could be fun

any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Building up mtb's from scratch usually always ends up costing a lot more than just buying a complete bike...

If it was me i'd only do it as a project over the winter with a good mix of parts...that way you have time to hunt around eBay and the likes for bargains that will save you money...

For example decent tubeless wheels and fox fork will cost around €800 new, groupset €600++ depending, thats €1400, add in around €1000 for a decent full sus frame and your up to €2400 excluding finishing kit of say €600, so €3k new...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭C3PO

You will find it very hard to build a bike for less money than buying one complete! You will buy a very decent 2nd hand full suspension bike for approximately €1200 - you will have a job building one for that! Also if you don't what you're doing you can easily end up with mismatched bits and pieces!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

the bike doesnt have to be the best bike with the very best parts, im looking at it as a project, a bit of fun, try and get a few deals on ebay. i have seen a few frames (stumpjumpers) going for 5-6 hundread euro (including shipping from the us) so thats a good start right?
    is it possible to when building that it could go all wrong and end up with a mess of a project??

the bike doesnt have to be the best bike with the very best parts, im looking at it as a project, a bit of fun, try and get a few deals on ebay. i have seen a few frames (stumpjumpers) going for 5-6 hundread euro (including shipping from the us) so thats a good start right?
    is it possible to when building that it could go all wrong and end up with a mess of a project??

What could happen is half way through the build you will get bored and end up selling the parts back on ebay and taking a loss, for an average bike with average bits n pieces i could not be bothered myself personally...

cheers for the honest opinion tenzor07, i was hoping to enjoy the build and end up with a half decent bike alright, wouldnt mind a helping hand when buying parts

• Advertisement

If I could get a loan off the IMF i'd buy this frame: www.dekerf.com/Details.asp?id=6 and spend the winter putting it together with the best of the best kit out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Quote "also i can buy parts on the cycle to work scheme if necessary"

I don't think, that, the "Cycle to Work" scheme allows you to buy parts.

i think any buisness person who runs a bike shop would be willing to let you buy parts, maybe im wrong i just presumed they would, ive heard of people buying lawnmowers through the cycle to work scheme so bike parts shouldnt be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Around now is the best time do all this as stock is changing for 2012.

Here are some discounted groupsets: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Groupsets+-+MTB/list.htm

But be careful of crank sizes there might only be long or short left.

I've been slowly building a road bike with ultegra which will probably come in at about €500 ish below RRP but then so many bikes are discounted at this time of year I could have bought a complete one for the same or less. But I wanted certain features on mine which are becoming obsolete.

I wouldn't do it as a money saving excercise but more of a way to build a bike you want. I know very little about MTBs much less dual suspension ones but as an outsider looking in, it looks like an expensive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Anybody, who uses the Cycle to Work scheme to buy bike parts or lawnmowers, is breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Its pointless anyway, unless you were going to buy 500 to 1000 worth of parts in one go. which seems not to be what you're planning. Also you can only make one purchase every 5 years on the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Building a MTB can be great fun, and I can honestly say that if you are just willing to buy SH parts on ebay auctions etc you will get it done very cheaply.
    If you are happy enough for Deore parts (nothing wrong with them whatsoever) will get them for a song, as most lads on ebay are flogging Deore etc to upgrade, so you rarely have major competition in an auction. - Learn how to snipe.

Forks will be a bit more expensive, and buying SH ones can be dodgy, so you are maybe better off buying in clearout sales in one of the UK online stores.
    Tubeless wheels are not that expensive compared to some of the factory wheels, if you are prepared to buy the rims yourself and get a good wheelbuilder to lace them up for you.
    Have fun, I've built up a good few MTBs over the last few years, and all at bargain prices.

Advertisement