Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Arran7 wrote
    Also, so far this only seems to happen when the stove hasn't been lit for very long and I have to leave the house, so I close the dampers in case the fire gets out of control and theres nobody there to close the dampers down.

concerning black residues leaching from the stove.

What is described here is exactly how a creosote destillation works. You are creating hazardous material (the condensate) by an uncomplete combustion in combination with a cold surface. The fumes will condense along the surface of the flue gas pipe.
    Learn how to run a fire.
    Use dry fuel, let the fire get hot, always work with a surplus of oxigen. Let the fire burn out completly before closing any flaps.

If the flue gases don't reach a minimum temperature at the outlet of the flue gas pipe (the top of the chimney) you are creating a health and safety risk.
    Note that this stuff is carcinogenic and that it poses a high fire risk material.

Get the flue gas pipes cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Hi Stovefan,

We want to replace our gas fire in the sitting room with a non boiler stove. The sitting room is 18' x 13'. The house has Gas central heating however we would like to install the stove for the evening in winter. The house is timber frame but there are blocks behind the fireplace and the chimney is flued with pots.

We are choosing between two Stoves, namely the San Remo Insert Stove and the Firefox NON-Insert Stove. They are around the same price.

I have attached three pics below of our fireplace and of the two stoves we are choosing from.

Our questions to you is, which in your opinion would be our best option given our fireplace set up? Which one would give out the best heat How could we set up the Firefox stove if we were to choose it? (Would we have to close up the fireplace and have the stove sitting on the hearth?)

We got quotes from Clane Fireplaces of:
    1. 680euro for the San Remo + installation (no mention of flue lining)
    2. 750euro for the Firefox + installation (no mention of flue lining)

Has anyone had any dealings with Clane Fireplaces that they would like to share?

All comments welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Mutz wrote: »
    Hi Stovefan,

We want to replace our gas fire in the sitting room with a non boiler stove. The sitting room is 18' x 13'. The house has Gas central heating however we would like to install the stove for the evening in winter. The house is timber frame but there are blocks behind the fireplace and the chimney is flued with pots.

We are choosing between two Stoves, namely the San Remo Insert Stove and the Firefox NON-Insert Stove. They are around the same price.

I have attached three pics below of our fireplace and of the two stoves we are choosing from.

Our questions to you is, which in your opinion would be our best option given our fireplace set up? Which one would give out the best heat How could we set up the Firefox stove if we were to choose it? (Would we have to close up the fireplace and have the stove sitting on the hearth?)

We got quotes from Clane Fireplaces of:
    1. 680euro for the San Remo + installation (no mention of flue lining)
    2. 750euro for the Firefox + installation (no mention of flue lining)

Has anyone had any dealings with Clane Fireplaces that they would like to share?

All comments welcome :)

Hi:) I would definately install an inset stove as if you install a freestanding stove it would have to sit on the hearth. The hearth would need to be extended forward to give 300mm in front of the stove. The other issue that will be a problem is the wooden surround being too near the freestanding stove.

The inset stove would be much simpler to install and need the least alterations :)

If your clay lined flue passes the smoke pellet test then the chimney won't need to be lined. Most inserts don't require a flue liner and just slot into the fireplace and backfilled with a vermiculite/sand/cement mix.

Have a look at this insert
    http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/aarrow-ecoburn-5-inset-multifuel-woodburning-stove-p-6423.html

Or my favourite if you can go the extra. Around £900 in the Uk or the enigma 3.5 £750. 3.9kw
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwinsetfireview.ashx

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=woodwarm+stoves&oq=woodwarm+stoves&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=31015l37073l0l39104l15l15l0l5l5l0l486l2220l3.2.3.0.2l10l0

I calculated your room needs 4kw to heat it or less depending on the level of insulation.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

My gas fire stove cuts out after about an hr from been turned on and about 10-20 mins everytime after that. Anyone know what the problem is?

bump

bump

I would say a safety device on the fire is cutting in to make it safe is a distinct possibility:eek:

Do not use it and get an engineer in to check it over and service it. Get the chimney checked for a blockage and get it swept.

Carbon monoxide is lethal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi:) I would definately install an inset stove as if you install a freestanding stove it would have to sit on the hearth. The hearth would need to be extended forward to give 300mm in front of the stove. The other issue that will be a problem is the wooden surround being too near the freestanding stove.

The inset stove would be much simpler to install and need the least alterations :)

If your clay lined flue passes the smoke pellet test then the chimney won't need to be lined. Most inserts don't require a flue liner and just slot into the fireplace and backfilled with a vermiculite/sand/cement mix.

Have a look at this insert
    http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/aarrow-ecoburn-5-inset-multifuel-woodburning-stove-p-6423.html

Or my favourite if you can go the extra. Around £900 in the Uk or the enigma 3.5 £750. 3.9kw
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwinsetfireview.ashx

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=woodwarm+stoves&oq=woodwarm+stoves&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=31015l37073l0l39104l15l15l0l5l5l0l486l2220l3.2.3.0.2l10l0

I calculated your room needs 4kw to heat it or less depending on the level of insulation.

Hi Stovefan,

Any idea where it might be possible to see those Fireview inset stoves around Dublin? They seem to be pretty unknown in most of the fireplace shops!
    Thanks

Reyman wrote: »
    Hi Stovefan,

Any idea where it might be possible to see those Fireview inset stoves around Dublin? They seem to be pretty unknown in most of the fireplace shops!
    Thanks

Woodwarm have retailers here in Dublin, Galway and Co Cork. See; http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/dealer-locator.ashx#top
    Glorneys
    42 Sundrive Road,
    Kimmage,
    Dublin 12
    Ireland

Tel: 00353 1492 1355 Fax :- 00353 1492 1732

You could view and may be cheaper then to import from the UK?

Woodwarm are a very good brand up there with Clearview stoves for quality and performance. Well known in the UK and a premium quality product all hand built in the UK.

See here for owners reviews for Woodwarm.
    http://www.whatstove.co.uk/reviews/stoves/stove-reviews/_c73.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I would like to install a stove on the rear of the open fire in the kitchen

Are there any issues with that type of instillation?

We have Oil at the moment on both floors the cylinder tank is 750mm x 450mm

I presume its a vented system can provide pics necessary.

The hotpress is right above where I would like to install the stove.

I know the pipework is the major issue is it only a matter of a hot and cold feed from the hotpress (directions wise)

I would like to install a stove on the rear of the open fire in the kitchen

Are there any issues with that type of instillation?

We have Oil at the moment on both floors the cylinder tank is 750mm x 450mm

I presume its a vented system can provide pics necessary.

The hotpress is right above where I would like to install the stove.

I know the pipework is the major issue is it only a matter of a hot and cold feed from the hotpress (directions wise)

Hi:) To use the chimney of the open fire in the kitchen this fireplace would need to be bricked/blocked up so the new stove uses this chimney. You can't have two fires sharing one chimney. The fires have to have seperate flues.

The other sounds fine. The hot water cylinder will need to be a twin coil. One coil connected to existing boiler the other coil to the solid fuel stove.

Any plumber will install it for you and link it to your open vented heating system safely. I would get some quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 troutfeet

hi I'm getting a freestanding multiburner installed and i was talking to the guy who is installing it earlier. I asked him about the single wall flue and how to stop the smoke escaping into the room. he says that you just stack the flues on top of each other. I find that hard to believe would there not be some sort of sealent required @ the joints? I don't really trust this guy but if what he says is true grand i just want to make sure.

thanks in advance

• Advertisement

troutfeet wrote: »
    hi I'm getting a freestanding multiburner installed and i was talking to the guy who is installing it earlier. I asked him about the single wall flue and how to stop the smoke escaping into the room. he says that you just stack the flues on top of each other. I find that hard to believe would there not be some sort of sealent required @ the joints? I don't really trust this guy but if what he says is true grand i just want to make sure.

thanks in advance

Hi:) When I fit flue pipes together on single walled flue pipe I smear some fire cement around the socket end internally and then slide the other pipe on and clean up the excess fire cement and I always screw the pipes together with self tapping screws after drilling a pilot hole. I use two screws per join.

The flue pipe from the stove should be fitted with the socket end furthest from the stove. This is to enable any moisture to run back down the flue rather than out the join if the wrong way round. See;
    http://www.specflue.com/vitreous_enamel.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Here is a question.
    Stove Fan, do you install Stoves outside of work or is it just advice you give?
    I searched and don't think anyone has asked you.
    I ask because you seem like you know your stuff and seem very competent. I am a newb to stoves and have been reading some of your contributions and I am impressed.
    If you install them off the job, let me know.

I have been quoted €750 to buy and have installed a Dimplex WST5.
    I hadn't expected it to be that much but that may very well be normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 troutfeet

thanks stovefan

Here is a question.
    I ask because you seem like you know your stuff and seem very competent. I am a newb to stoves and have been reading some of your contributions and I am impressed.

I have been quoted €750 to buy and have installed a Dimplex WST5.
    I hadn't expected it to be that much but that may very well be normal.

Hi:) Thanks for the kind comments:D I don't fit stoves for a living, just very keen on all aspects of stoves and chimneys. It's something I think I should do:). I have fitted my own stoves as I am a plumber by trade and used to install gas appliances in the UK. I passed the NVQ level 1,2 and 3 in plumbing and gas. It was an 18 months course 2 days a week.

The stove you are buying is around 450 here so by the time flue and fitting is accounted for sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Pity!!

That stove is €379 in the Co-Ops at the moment and €399 on thegascompany.ie meaning installation is around €400 - €450. is that really right? More than the cost to the unit itself!!

On a side note, after reading your posts, I don't know why you don't do tommers or nixers or whatever you want to call it in your free time.
    Obviously if you don't need the cash, grand but you seem to love it!

Thanks for your advice by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Here is a question.

I'll second that comment - you're doing an outstanding job Stovefan. Myself - I'm an Engineer by profession and by my reckoning your advice is exceptionally succinct and learned. You'd find it very easy to make a good living in this business (which seems to have a lot of hucksters)

Then again a nice hobby might become a bit of a chore if it was your livelihood !

Thanks very much for your kind comments:D If only it was true that I didn't need the money. Maybe it's something I could think of doing in the near future:) I have a keen interest in stoves and if I can answer anyones queries I am happy to do so:)

Thanks again. Stove Fan:)

Pity!!

That stove is €379 in the Co-Ops at the moment and €399 on thegascompany.ie meaning installation is around €400 - €450. is that really right? More than the cost to the unit itself!!

On a side note, after reading your posts, I don't know why you don't do tommers or nixers or whatever you want to call it in your free time.
    Obviously if you don't need the cash, grand but you seem to love it!

Thanks for your advice by the way!

Hi:) There is the cost of the materials that need to be considered which depending on the installation could mount up, but the installer probably is getting around 200 euros to install the stove or less depending if he is doing a full proper installation by using a clay liner adapter and easy to sweep without having to remove the stove and complying with all building regs.
    If this was you supplying everything then yes it's expensive.

It would be rather expensive if he was just plonking the stove on the existing hearth and just used a sheet of metal sealed over the fireplace opening with a hole in for the stoves rear flue. This isn't ideal as soot can build up in the old fireplace recess behind the metal plate (fire risk) and there is no real way to remove the soot and sweep the chimney without removing the stove. All stoves should not have to be removed to clean the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Countryboymike

I have sourced a 22kw Multifuel stove called the Fireglow.
    Have any of you guys got one or heard of them .Bit nervous about closing the deal as I have never heard of the make.It says she will power 12 rads.
    Thanks Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Hi Stovefan,
    I recently got an extension built to my house of about 25 square metres so there is about 4m*4m living area and a 4m*2.5m galley kitchen, all open plan. I am wondering if it is possible to put in a suitable stove in the corner of the living area and how it could be done.

I would need to bore a hole in the end wall to accommodate a flue and am wondering if there are any regulations for this. This is a single storey structure so would the flue pipe need to extend a certain height above the roof (apex)? Do I need to be mindful of neighbours- not just for fire but would there be a lot of smoke considering it would be exiting at a lower height. Do some fuels burn cleaner than others?

Also can you recommend a suitable stove. I was looking at some by the Swedish manufacturer Contura but althought they are sleek, they are probably very expensive. But I think they are wood only and I am leaning towards a multi. Also this would be a stand alone as I don't need to to heat rads.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

I have sourced a 22kw Multifuel stove called the Fireglow.
    Have any of you guys got one or heard of them .Bit nervous about closing the deal as I have never heard of the make.It says she will power 12 rads.
    Thanks Guys.

Hi:) I had never heard of this make but seems to be sold on ebay. It is probably a chinese import?

Take no notice of the stove being able to heat 12 rads. You need to work out your actual radiator load and size the stoves boiler accordingly. Stove manufacturers should quote the KW or BTU output of the boiler and not mention the number of rads as every house has different sized rads.

seosamh wrote: »
    Hi Stovefan,
    I recently got an extension built to my house of about 25 square metres so there is about 4m*4m living area and a 4m*2.5m galley kitchen, all open plan. I am wondering if it is possible to put in a suitable stove in the corner of the living area and how it could be done.

I would need to bore a hole in the end wall to accommodate a flue and am wondering if there are any regulations for this. This is a single storey structure so would the flue pipe need to extend a certain height above the roof (apex)? Do I need to be mindful of neighbours- not just for fire but would there be a lot of smoke considering it would be exiting at a lower height. Do some fuels burn cleaner than others?

Also can you recommend a suitable stove. I was looking at some by the Swedish manufacturer Contura but althought they are sleek, they are probably very expensive. But I think they are wood only and I am leaning towards a multi. Also this would be a stand alone as I don't need to to heat rads.
    Thanks.

Hi:) I have calculated that you need a 5kw stove or up to 6kw output if the rooms have poor insulation.

The best way to install the stove would be to use a twin wall insulated stainless steel chimney either out through the wall and up or vertical straight through the roof. The flue pipe manufacturers and stoves installation instructions must be followed. There are regulations regarding clearance above roofs but I can't really comment further as some pictures would help enormously. Budget around 500-1500 for the flue depending on how high it needs to be. It may have to go the full height of the house.
    If the flue is too low you could get complaints from neighbours with the smoke blowing into their home. It would be best to burn a smokeless fuel like ecobrite to minimise the smoke from the flue.

What look are you wanting?

These below are traditional looking.

Good stoves are the morso squirrel.
    Charnwood.
    woodwarm fireview
    Dunsley highlander

Others worth considering.

Stovax stockton 5
    Villager solo/duo/ Chelsea.
    Hunter herald 5.

There are many others:) If you want further stove info just ask:)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

Hi:) I have calculated that you need a 5kw stove or up to 6kw output if the rooms have poor insulation.

The best way to install the stove would be to use a twin wall insulated stainless steel chimney either out through the wall and up or vertical straight through the roof. The flue pipe manufacturers and stoves installation instructions must be followed. There are regulations regarding clearance above roofs but I can't really comment further as some pictures would help enormously. Budget around 500-1500 for the flue depending on how high it needs to be. It may have to go the full height of the house.
    If the flue is too low you could get complaints from neighbours with the smoke blowing into their home. It would be best to burn a smokeless fuel like ecobrite to minimise the smoke from the flue.

What look are you wanting?

These below are traditional looking.

Good stoves are the morso squirrel.
    Charnwood.
    woodwarm fireview
    Dunsley highlander

Others worth considering.

Stovax stockton 5
    Villager solo/duo/ Chelsea.
    Hunter herald 5.

There are many others:) If you want further stove info just ask:)

From experience, I would recommend using single wall up to ceiling and twin wall at transit through roof and on to finished height.
    The amount of heat transfer from single wall flue to the room makes this the best option.

ccmp wrote: »
    From experience, I would recommend using single wall up to ceiling and twin wall at transit through roof and on to finished height.
    The amount of heat transfer from single wall flue to the room makes this the best option.

It is a good idea providing it's 18 inches away from any plasterboard wall or flammable materials for building regulations. This is for six inch single walled flue. The clearance has to be 3X the width of the flue pipe or less clearance provided the wall is heat shielded.
    See:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/flue-distance-to-combustibles.html

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Thanks Stovefan,
    What you wrote about the flue possibly needing to reach above the second storey height has put me thinking. In my case, the single storey extension is L-shaped wrapping around the two storey back of the house. So I could perhaps go through the roof in order to tie the flue externally to the old structure to reach the required height. I will try to get some photos to make this clearer.
    So costing this what would you estimate?
    Stove = 400
    Flue 2metres internally and 4 metres externally and ties = ?
    Cost of installation ( installer needs to make changes to the slate roof, install flashing etc ) =?

Thanks.

seosamh wrote: »
    Thanks Stovefan,
    What you wrote about the flue possibly needing to reach above the second storey height has put me thinking. In my case, the single storey extension is L-shaped wrapping around the two storey back of the house. So I could perhaps go through the roof in order to tie the flue externally to the old structure to reach the required height. I will try to get some photos to make this clearer.
    So costing this what would you estimate?
    Stove = 400
    Flue 2metres internally and 4 metres externally and ties = ?
    Cost of installation ( installer needs to make changes to the slate roof, install flashing etc ) =?

Thanks.

As a very rough quesstimate 1600 minumum up to around 2,000 all in. Best to get some quotes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Hi Stovefan again!

I've done a hell of a lot of research now at this stage about getting an insert Stove - probably a Boru An Chroi Beag (€550). I'm still confused on a number of things as we are getting very conflicting instructions on the installation. One stove supplier is saying flue lining is not needed and the other is saying it is required.

We are going to get the gas fire taken out. Now behind this unit is just a void. There is no fireback behind the gas fire meaning just blocks leading up into a Flue Gather and pots above.

Am I correct in saying that I need to get a fireback installed first and would you agree in the way in which this fireback is installed?

The fireplace has never been used for solid fuel and I assume the chimney pots in this new build are in good condition. Would you recommend I get the chimney lined (given its good condition) and connect to the inset stove or would I get away with just inserting the stove into the fireback and let the chimney look after the fumes?

I have been quoted €1000 for installation, excluding the stove unit. The chimney is a standard two storey height (9 metre approx). What's your opinion on this price?

The hearth and the fireplace surround are all one piece of marble. Would we get away with keeping these or will they crack when using an inset stove?

Thanks again for the valuable opinions you have given everyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Types of stove: the modern stoves burn differently - they use 'secondary burning', or 'secondary combustion', which means they burn much hotter and much more efficiently, and with less pollution. Look it up on YouTube and you'll find a bunch of videos explaining this.

Chimney: in my last house we had a stove for a while which was just led into the chimney with no flue and no lining. It was supposed to be airtight, but I'm convinced it was giving off carbon monoxide fumes - people would come in and sit down in front of it, and after an hour they'd be dozing off. Lucky it didn't kill us all.

In this house we got a stove professionally installed, with a flexible steel flue (£1,000) packed around the sides with vermiculite, and topped off with an anti-bird and pro-draw gadget. The installers explained to me that this steel flue heated better than the stone chimney, and so caused a better draw.

If it's gone out overnight, I can start a fire with briquettes, pine cones, firelighters, paper and cardboard and have it blazing within minutes, and have a hot stove humming along within half an hour.

I think the flexible steel flue makes a big difference to both the safety and the draw of the stove. I'd never again instal one without such a flue.

Oh, and brands: you can add Clearwood (English-made, including the casting, which with many other brands is done in China), and Nestor Martin, the Rolls-Royce of stoves, made in Belgium; if you get an inset Nestor Martin you can include two pipes to pipe the warmed air (not chimney fumes) to other rooms in the house.

Hi Stovefan again!

I've done a hell of a lot of research now at this stage about getting an insert Stove - probably a Boru An Chroi Beag (€550). I'm still confused on a number of things as we are getting very conflicting instructions on the installation. One stove supplier is saying flue lining is not needed and the other is saying it is required.

We are going to get the gas fire taken out. Now behind this unit is just a void. There is no fireback behind the gas fire meaning just blocks leading up into a Flue Gather and pots above.

Am I correct in saying that I need to get a fireback installed first and would you agree in the way in which this fireback is installed?

The fireplace has never been used for solid fuel and I assume the chimney pots in this new build are in good condition. Would you recommend I get the chimney lined (given its good condition) and connect to the inset stove or would I get away with just inserting the stove into the fireback and let the chimney look after the fumes?

I have been quoted €1000 for installation, excluding the stove unit. The chimney is a standard two storey height (9 metre approx). What's your opinion on this price?

The hearth and the fireplace surround are all one piece of marble. Would we get away with keeping these or will they crack when using an inset stove?

Hi:) I wouldn't think a fireback will be necessary unless they state it must be fitted. On some inserts you have to remove the fireback anyway in order to create the right depth.
    After the insert is fitted in place the space behind and to the side and above the fire will be filled up with a vermiculite/sand and cement mix, like shown in the video clip. This is important as it prevents heat loss and directs it more into the room. It would be better to line the flue if you can afford the extra expense. It will draw better and make cleaning the flue easier.

With regard the price you would be looking at between 450-600 for the liner depending whether its 316 grade or 904, the 904 grade is better. Plus any other consumables ie chimney cowel, vermiculite mix etc.

The only possible problem is the marble surround but being an insert it should be ok the main worry for me is the marble above the fire, exposed to the most heat. What does your installer think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi Stovefan again!

Hi:) I wouldn't think a fireback will be necessary unless they state it must be fitted. On some inserts you have to remove the fireback anyway in order to create the right depth.
    After the insert is fitted in place the space behind and to the side and above the fire will be filled up with a vermiculite/sand and cement mix, like shown in the video clip. This is important as it prevents heat loss and directs it more into the room. It would be better to line the flue if you can afford the extra expense. It will draw better and make cleaning the flue easier.

With regard the price you would be looking at between 450-600 for the liner depending whether its 316 grade or 904, the 904 grade is better. Plus any other consumables ie chimney cowel, vermiculite mix etc.

The only possible problem is the marble surround but being an insert it should be ok the main worry for me is the marble above the fire, exposed to the most heat. What does your installer think?

Sorry for hijacking thread but we are in the exact same quandary! Fitting a Dimplex westcott 4kw inset stove in our front room and a Dimplex multi fuel 5 kw pot belly stove in our kitchen come living area. At the stage of tearing out old fireplaces and left with openings minus firebacks. As you mentioned earlier I am fitting the inset without a firebacks but unsure how to make up the sand/cement/vermiculite mix and exactly how far to go with it up the back of the inset? Also I would preferr to fit some sort of adaptor from the stove to the chimney even though not necessary according to manufacturer as above also!
    I would also like to be able to just use the existing chimney with the pot belly stove with adaptor to chimney directly from top of stove due to lack of funds to afford lining the flu however won't know the state of play till after getting both chimneys cleaned!
    Cheers for all your help stove fan!
    T

Advertisement