Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz strings?

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:20am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Someone mentioned to me recently that they use jazz strings on their acoustic guitar, and that they're great for accompanying trad tunes.

In my innocence, I though there were only two basic types of strings for an acoustic: nylon and steel.

Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

They probably mean flatwound steel strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Hi all,

Someone mentioned to me recently that they use jazz strings on their acoustic guitar, and that they're great for accompanying trad tunes.

They maybe referring to Jazz Gauge which is generally heavier. For example D'addario EJ21 are know as Jazz Light gauge which are (12-52) with a wound 3rd. That's not exactly heavy for Acoustic but is for Electric.

I wouldn't have thought Flatwound strings would be suitable for trad backing as Flatwounds are dull sounding. If you play a heavy trad rhythmic style you'd want 13-56 or higher as they take a lot more of a beating. A Bluegrass set tends to give you a 12-56 range. Of course you can go even heavier if your Guitar/fingers can take it ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for the replies.

Much appreciated.

Kieran.

P.S. Great site by the way Strings :) Any chance of a freebie for a new customer???

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Thanks for the replies.

Much appreciated.

Kieran.

P.S. Great site by the way Strings :) Any chance of a freebie for a new customer???

Can't do you a freebie Kieran but PM me and I'll give you a 10% off code ;)

Advertisement