Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labels on wine

Options
  • 15-09-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me here.....
    I got a bottle of red wine (French) in a supermarket a few months back and really liked it.
    I'm pretty sure it was a Syrah - Grenache.
    I went in again yesterday to get a bottle & the label says Grenache - Syrah.
    Can anyone tell me would there be any difference in the two ?
    Is it more of one grape and less of another ?
    Or am I wrong, and both labels were the same ?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

phantom60 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me here.....
    I got a bottle of red wine (French) in a supermarket a few months back and really liked it.
    I'm pretty sure it was a Syrah - Grenache.
    I went in again yesterday to get a bottle & the label says Grenache - Syrah.
    Can anyone tell me would there be any difference in the two ?
    Is it more of one grape and less of another ?
    Or am I wrong, and both labels were the same ?

Thanks.
    Grenache and Syrah (Shiraz in New World wines) are just the names of the type of grapes that they use in the wine.

If it was the same brand/maker of wine it's a good chance that it'll be similar if not the same as the one you've had previously. But if it's a different producer it'll be similar in style but may differ greatly due to the blend of both grapes used.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭phantom60

Thanks Bazmo,

Yeah its the same brand.
    I can't remember if they were the same year or one was 2009 and the other 2010.
    Would that make any difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thanks Bazmo,

Yeah its the same brand.
    I can't remember if they were the same year or one was 2009 and the other 2010.
    Would that make any difference ?
    The year wouldn't matter on your standard run of the mill supermarket wine. It only comes into play with the more expensive wines, when the harvest produces a better quality grape, so that year would be declared a better vintage for that particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭phantom60

Thanks again Bazmo,
    It's €15 per bottle so I guess that wouldn't be classed as an expensive bottle....although it's the most expensive I've ever bought!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Whichever grape is listed first then the wine has a greater percentage of that grape. So if a wine is Syrah-Grenache it could be 70% to 30% which would be a fairly common blend for a Languedoc red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

It's €15 per bottle so I guess that wouldn't be classed as an expensive bottle....
    It's expensive enough for the vintage to be relevant.

Advertisement