Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

course info. theoretical physics and maths degree

Options
  • 14-09-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

im in 6th year and am wondering what i would expect if i was to so this course. i love maths but i am not an a1 student at it (currently), i will probably get a b1 in the leaving cert .could i do this course because i am passionate about the topics it covers or do you need to be a natural "maths genius"?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Flesh out passionate for me. What do you mean you're passionate about maths? Because this course involves doing mathematics you've never done before. So unless you've been reading up on the topics and outside the confines of the LC you might not be aware of the difference. The main thing you need apart from being decent at maths is an actual interest and awareness about the mathematics you will do not what you've done. Because the LC is a piece of piss compared to pure mathematics. Post and tell me about your ideas and aspirations about the course and I can help by telling you if I think you're prepared for it. And if you're not then maybe I can give you suggestions for stuff you could do in your free time to help get a grasp of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sionnachrua

I'm in a class with all the TP people for maths, so I don't know anything about the physics other than they all think it's fairly ok, they all seem to come out with over 90% for the first year or two. The maths I do know, inside out! So if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    One thing I'll say in response to LeixlipRed's comment is that I had no idea of what I was getting into, and neither did any of my class, but I love it now. There was a few months at the start of first year where we were all pretty much like "Oh crap, what have we gotten ourselves into" - but you settle in then and get used to it. I'm not saying it's easy, though! Seriously, ask away if you're considering doing this course, it's fantastic.

Yeh, I should qualify that I didn't mean that was a reason not to do it, just that you should be prepared for something completely different!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

shane4 wrote: »
    im in 6th year and am wondering what i would expect if i was to so this course. i love maths but i am not an a1 student at it (currently), i will probably get a b1 in the leaving cert .could i do this course because i am passionate about the topics it covers or do you need to be a natural "maths genius"?

you should be grand once you put in the work

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shane4

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Flesh out passionate for me. What do you mean you're passionate about maths? Because this course involves doing mathematics you've never done before. So unless you've been reading up on the topics and outside the confines of the LC you might not be aware of the difference. The main thing you need apart from being decent at maths is an actual interest and awareness about the mathematics you will do not what you've done. Because the LC is a piece of piss compared to pure mathematics. Post and tell me about your ideas and aspirations about the course and I can help by telling you if I think you're prepared for it. And if you're not then maybe I can give you suggestions for stuff you could do in your free time to help get a grasp of it!

by passionate i mean i have natural ability in maths but not as far as grasping it immediately like some people can. if i could i would just study maths for the leaving cert. but you cant so.. because it is hard to get an a1 in the lc in maths compared to other subjects ive had to do a little less study then i really want to in order to get the points i need 4 college. i think that if i was to do maths style topics all the time i would excel very quickly. im definitely in the top students in my class but i am not expecting an A but definatly a b2 as a bare minimum. probably b1.

• Advertisement

Ok, what do you understand maths to be? Not grasping things straight away won't hold you back. But it's not the maths you're used to at all.

Geez LeixlipRed, stop scaring him off! Shane, sounds like you'll be fine. As long as you like maths and you enjoy working at it. The only reason I chose my course was because studying maths in leaving cert made me really happy!
    And if at the end of first year you don't like it after all, you can drop down to Maths studies and continue on with the theoretical physics. Maths studies is not as pure but you still get to do cool stuff like cryptography and coding theory. But definitely try out the theoretical physics and maths!

Not trying to scare him off, just from experience the way he's talking about the course suggests to me he doesn't really know what it's about. And he should look into it as opposed to coming here blindly. That's all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i cant imagine how many of us had a clue before starting it or similar either

I'm not trying to be a prick but my own research touches on kids making decisions at random about courses and people are more likely to drop out because of such decisions. All I'm saying is inform yourself as much as possible beforehand. Ok, you didn't have a clue but do you think that anyone could just jump into it blind and do well? Too often the "ah you'll be grand line" is totted out to students at open days in a desperate attempt to get students to choose Maynooth. A much better approach is to try and explain how different and challenging and interesting the course is and maybe give them some reading and problems to work on.

• Advertisement

op have you looked at the course content here
    you can google some of the individual modules
    http://www.nuim.ie/courses/?Target=QS&Mode=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=SCIMS&YEAR=2012&TARGET_SOURCE=CS&KEYWORD=maths

Also OP, I'd recommend involving yourself in the Maths Olympiad, ask your teacher, they should know about it if you're not already involved.

You can find info and some notes and questions here:
    http://www.irmo.ie/problems.html

Not necessarily the maths you'd be studying upon entry to the course but much more challenging and interesting than LC maths and opens your mind to think about mathematics in a less learning by rote fashion.

No, I get what you mean, I just reckon that this guy seems interested enough and isn't just choosing blindly or jumping into a decision. It's September of 6th year and already he's asking online about it! Sure when I was considering doing the course I looked up all sorts of stuff on it, and reading the module codes I looked up group and ring and field on wikipedia and sure I understood nothing. The reading and problems would be a good idea I agree, but chances are if half the people in my class were given that before that started they would have run a mile, and now that they're into it it's fine. He's only really asking if you have to be a genius to do the course and the answer to that is no.

I'm not saying he should understand any of it and it's not presented like something he should study. He should just have a gander and see what he thinks is all.

Grand so! That website is very good actually, I would have loved to have seen that when I was in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shane4

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Not trying to scare him off, just from experience the way he's talking about the course suggests to me he doesn't really know what it's about. And he should look into it as opposed to coming here blindly. That's all.

i haven't just put this post up blindly i have been research this quite thoroughly i was even at higher options the day before i posted this and no one from the maynooth section was in any way helpful. the lecturer for tcd was a little helpful though. i asked from a general perspective to see what people doing the course would say. if i had shown to know loads about it i would have probably have gotten replies like "you seem to know what you're talking about so go ahead its the course for you" .

Want me to put you in touch with people from NUIM? Can put you in contact with former/current students of that course if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 b.yarrum

I'm actually currently in final year of theoretical physics and maths. I have found the course okay.. you are sorta thrown into pure maths straight away in first year.. but if you get stuck into the work you should be okay. If your really struggling during first year i know you can leave the pure maths course at the end of first year and do maths studies with math physics instead. If you have particular questions Shane id be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cowtipper

shane4 wrote: »

boo

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cowtipper

Grand so! That website is very good actually, I would have loved to have seen that when I was in 6th year.

hello jane!!! is jason playin football on wednesday??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoifecarragher

cowtipper wrote: »
    hello jane!!! is jason playin football on wednesday??

Hey paul quit annoying random people on boards its really creepy!! this girl/boy has no idea who you are and you dont know them so leave them alone!!!

Advertisement