Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 36: Thai Red Chicken Curry with Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes

Options
  • 14-09-2011 8:11pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, thanks for having me this week as your stand in. :)

One of my favourite dishes to cook and eat is curry so I tried this and each time kept chopping and changing till I got it right for my liking, So I really hope you enjoy.

Oven baked Thai Red Curry:

Ingredients:
    2 breasts of chicken
    1 tin of coconut milk
    1 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)
    1 tbsp curry powder
    2 tsp chilli powder
    1/2 tsp rosemary
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp brown sugar
    2 cloves garlic
    1 inch fresh ginger
    1/2 lime juice
    2 bay leaves (optional)
    3 tbsp tesco tomato & chilli pesto
    1 large onion
    1 large red chilli
    Turmeric

For the tomatoes:
    10 cherry tomatoes
    Balsamic vinegar
    Olive oil
    Black pepper

Curry_ingredients.jpg

Preheat oven at 180degrees.

Chop the raw chicken into little pieces, place on a tray with foil, and sprinkle with turmeric and cook for 30-40 mins

Turmeric_Chicken.jpg

heat the coconut milk, and quickly add the bay leaves, curry, chilli, sugar, cinnamon, Rosemary, oregano, cumin, pesto, oyster sauce and the juice of the lime and combine with a whisk.

Make sure it doesn't come to the boil and simmer at a low heat

Simmering.jpg

Chop the chilli, garlic and ginger and add to mix

Chilli_Ginger_Garlic.jpg

Leave to simmer, and when the chicken is cooked, it should look something like this

Cooked_Chicken.jpg

Transfer to a pirex dish and mix. At this point add the onion for a crunchy onion:

Ready_for_the_oven.jpg

Leave in the oven for 30 mins and it should come out combined like this:

Just_out_of_the_oven.jpg

While the curry is in the oven, chop the tomatoes in half, and place on a foil lined tray. drizzel olive oil on top and then some balsamic vinegar and top with black pepper and put in oven for remaining 15 mins

Ready_tomatoes.jpg

When everything is ready after the 30 mins in the oven, serve the curry with basmati rice, cherry tomatoes and enjoy :D

And_go.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have a real lip for red curry so will be trying this!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have been told i have to make this, as i dont like his :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

irishbird wrote: »
    have been told i have to make this, as i dont like his :D
    :D:D:D and its lovely as a veggie curry too!! except if you are going to add butternut squash.. dont add it in until the dish is going in the oven

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I am a true lover of thai curries, but have never come across this method. Will deffo be trying this!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Looks Gorgeous!

Will def try soon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This is top of my list for new recipes to work on. :) Looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I made a veggy version of this and it turned out really nice! The only thing I didn't have was pesto: does it make a big difference?

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=11304

I'm just wondering as this seems to be a Thai/Italian fusion, did you have something like this out before or is it your own creation? There's a restaurant in Leixlip (Da Vinci's) that does lovely Thai-style pizza and pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Made this last night...was really nice...didn't have oyster sauce or bay leafs but apart from that was really nice. Need to use less coconut milk though as it was a tad runny.

But I'll be having the remainder for lunch shortly :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I made a veggy version of this and it turned out really nice! The only thing I didn't have was pesto: does it make a big difference?

I'm just wondering as this seems to be a Thai/Italian fusion, did you have something like this out before or is it your own creation? There's a restaurant in Leixlip (Da Vinci's) that does lovely Thai-style pizza and pasta.
    I love the pesto in it as it just adds a little bit more colour, so chances are you wouldn't miss it!

I'm a curry lover so this is something that I finally got too myself. It is, in a way, my own creation as I kept adding and taking away ingredients until I found the combination that I like :)
    Insurgent wrote: »
    Made this last night...was really nice...didn't have oyster sauce or bay leafs but apart from that was really nice. Need to use less coconut milk though as it was a tad runny.

But I'll be having the remainder for lunch shortly :)
    Hope the lunch was nice! :) I found the chili powder I use actually thickens the coconut milk, so maybe that's why I've never found it runny, but I can see how it could be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've completely deviated from the ingredients, in terms of how you make your paste etc, but this is the only method I now know how to make a Curry i.e pre-cooked chicken with turmeric, oven cooked with crunchy onion etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I decided to go back over some recipes I missed and I love curry so this one looked good :)

It was really tasty, amazingly rich flavours and not so hot that your mouth burns, just very mellow chilli and a lot of spice. Plus only an hour or so cooking time, bonus :cool:

Will be making this one again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I made this tonight it was gorgeous.

I was doubling the recipe, but couldn't get two tins of coconut milk so I just added a little bit of chicken stock and a sachet of creamed coconut.

I also couldn't find the pesto you were talking about in my local tesco, so I bought the sacla fiery chilli pesto instead.

I'm already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Made this tonight and it was delicious. Thanks OP.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Just made this OP and it was fab. Bit watery but really nice. The OH isn't into spicy food so he added half a carton of cream and get still thought it was too hot! I loved it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

toadfly wrote: »
    Just made this OP and it was fab. Bit watery but really nice. The OH isn't into spicy food so he added half a carton of cream and get still thought it was too hot! I loved it though.

He probably should've added yoghurt and/or lime to it instead of cream as the cream would only make it richer not cool it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He probably should've added yoghurt and/or lime to it instead of cream as the cream would only make it richer not cool it down.

Thanks, will try that next time.

Advertisement