Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young couple moving out?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Me and the fella have been together long enough to know the relationship will be grand, just throwing that in there 'cause I know someone will be tempted to comment on that :p

Anyway, the situation. I've just finished the good 'ol LC and want to take a year (or possibly two) out, depending on finances. My boyfriend is in the same boat but we'll definitely go once we can :)
    The thing is, both of us are working currently (Supermacs full-time and Dunnes flexi-time) and we've been looking into this moving out lark for ages. We've been to a few viewings etc. and have enough for the deposit. What we need to know though, to budget it all properly, is how much will the dreaded weekly shop cost on average? We already have a price for the ESB, gas, internet and TV so this is the one missing thing :rolleyes: Anyone in the same boat or similar situation care to comment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

esb 100ish every two months ( depends on your use )
    gas 100 ish every two months but you don't need it in the summer ( depends on your use )
    food x*-1 this depends on your taste but id say you would get away with about 100 per week without fail as long as you do a big shop once a month to freeze.
    internet + phone from about €40.
    tv- well there is the TV license but if you want sky it can go from 60-100. but id prefer to spend that on the internet connection and just use rte player c4od etc..

the main thing to think of is that most companies will want a 1 year commitment for the install of products such as sky/eircom, gas will ask for a deposit, as will the esb ( from what i remember ).

out of your weekly wage you should be able to put aside 50% for living expenses 15% for savings.

take a jar call it the kitty jar . €50 from each of you goes into it and with that you do the shopping that just pops up from day to day such as dishwasher tablets / fresh veg. leave the recipts in it so at the end you both can see exactly where the 100 went. this should stop the occasional fight or two.

Gl with the move but tbh i wouldn't

Advertisement