Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Aquarium

Options
  • 14-09-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if asked before but any recommendations as to where is best value in aquariums, online or in Limerick area. Also what is the best make/size to start with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Secondhand is definitely the way to go for value. Keep an eye on adverts.ie and if you take a look at some previous ads you'll get an idea of what you can get for your budget.

The type of fish you want to keep would be the main determinant of what size tank you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if asked before but any recommendations as to where is best value in aquariums, online or in Limerick area. Also what is the best make/size to start with?

Spend a couple of hours reading this section of threads..

Im so sorry I didnt before I went and bought mine, any staff at the pet shop i bought my sons Aquarium hadnt got a clue and guided me wrong.

Take the advice here onboard and you wont go wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

I sold one recently on adverts.ie

Also check out http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/ there is a pretty good flow of tanks (badum-tish!) in their forum.

One piece of advice Id give having bought 2 second hand tanks is to see it in the flesh before you buy. One guy offered to deliver for a decent price and since it was a huge tank and he was the other side of the country i jumped at the opportunity....but the cabinet didnt look so good when i saw it and there were little bits broken off etc.....but at that stage I couldnt really not take it as he was going on to pick up a replacement tank!

The real benefit in buying second hand is that as well as potentially getting a tank that is 'up and running', you can sometimes get extra stuff chucked in.....and when you are starting out you often dont realise that to stock a tank with gravel, bogwood, rocks, plants actually can cost quite a bit too.

Feel free to post a link to an ad if you would like feedback on anything specific.

What size to start with? Depends ho much you think you will keep it going. Remember with water quality, small tanks are actually less stable and hence more difficult to maintain so dont get anything too small. Also if you get into it you will almost certainly want to expand as you get into it. Typical 'starter' tanks might be 80l-100l, thats what I started with, but pretty quickly moved on to 180l or so

Advertisement