Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still suffer from nerves while playing?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 2:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to start my third season playing league darts and I have also played in quite a few tournaments but I still suffer quite badly from nerves. I know it shouldn't be affecting me as much after that amount of time but I can't help it and it is affecting my game. Some games I will be very nervous for no reason at all and others I will be reasonably ok. It's something I'm determined to get over this seaosn because I know it will help me a lot.

So do any of you lads still suffer from nerves and what do you do to try and get over them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭KEITH_KILDUFF

Used to be in same boat Paddy, what got me over them was winning my first tournament, gave me belief that I don't need to worry about anything except im a good solid player?

What I had also had was a stress ball in my throwing hands pocket. coming back from each throw just squeeze it 4-5 times hard, tenses the hand and the shakes leave!

Other lads will have different methods but thats my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

I think most players rely on a few pints to relax them:p
    The more experienced you become the better you will become at dealing with nerves.even the most experienced player is going to get nervous at times. i'd feel nervous at the beginning of a match but as soon as i've thrown my first 3 darts i'm fine again.just try and throw the first 3 solid,even if they're up near tops,a solid 60 to start a match is fine.

if all else fails drink a few extra beers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭damo180

cheers keith, i m going to try that and keep trying different methods to overcome nerves.
    Kingp, if you can keep at it, I am sure it will get easier.
    I am trying to play as much as I can competitively as possible and would also welcome any tips.
    I am looking at sports psychology books to see if they can offer any insight.
    I think darts is like golf in the sense that mental game plays such a big part in succeeding.
    I am trying to "not drink" while playing so I can travel to more comps.
    If only I could bring my practise game to competitions !!!
    But will keep trying.
    Anyone got Taylors number ? :rolleyes:

I seem to recall Anderson bringing up the drinking that players need to play.

Two of Irelands greats Tom Kirby and Jack Mc Kenna didnt drink as far as I am aware, and neither does William O Connor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭damo180

Keith, does the the stress ball not leave your hand sweaty after a few squeezes ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Stress ball sounds like a good idea but I don't think I could have it in my pocket while throwing, I hate anything being in my pocket because it puts me off. I'll try think of something along the same lines though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

playing in the friendly against you's there on monday king i could barely hold my dart i was so nervous i get phases were i stand up to the line and im grand not a nerve then the next week shaking like a leaf. i think a bit of nerves are good for you in a match keeps you focused (atleast with me it does).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭KEITH_KILDUFF

No the stress ball doesnt get sweaty at all, when im nervous my hand just shakes, it doesnt sweat haha?

As for having it in your pocket, Im usually wearing trousers not jeans when I have it on me so it sits easier in my pocket and not sticking out.

Its like everything guys, different people have different ways to control it, my system suits me, it mighten others. I don't drink when I throw either, might have 1 pint but thats after my match, but thats just me, the more competitve darts you play, the more you can learn to control them, but then again having said that im playing darts 5 years now and ive only learned to control them aged 22!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

With all the years playing darts I still get nerves before league games! I still have to drink 3-4 pints before I play a game or else I'm all over the board! At this stage I'll just keep up the habit of a few pints before a game,can't see anything else stopping the nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

Everyone is different. I have a couple of pint before a game usually 2-3, but I have also played sober for two years a few years back.
    We all probally get nervous in some way, but it is how you cope with these nerves that matters.
    I have played for a good few years and I find that a good deep breath before you stand up to the oche works for me. The important thing I have learned over the years is to set a ryhthm that you are comfortable with and stick to it. If you are nervous or your hand is shaking done just throw the dards to get off the oche.
    Stare at the target you want even before you raise your first dart to your eye to throw. This stare should only last about a second and can be done when you are placing your leg at the oche.
    After a while it will become part of your routine and In my case anyway it gives me something to think of instead of nerves...stare at the target (I mean the triple/double not just the board) raise your hand to aim and throw ur dart nice and smooth. Your thinking about the target before you raise your dart and not any nerves you might have.
    Works for me:).
    Also if you have confidence in your own game you should be able to dispell the nerves.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Paul16

I have been playing for a few years now and have the same problem,one game i'm grand and the next my hand is shaking when throwing the dart.very annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement