Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas meddling with the films (again)

• 14-09-2011 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Now that we've all seen the new 'improved' scene in the blu-ray Return of the Jedi where Vader says 'Noooo' (twice) before he throwns Palpatine to his death, what do people think? Personally, while I will still be able to sleep at night, I think that scene has lost so much. It was the most important scene in the whole trilogy and Lucas has ruined it. Words were not needed to see what Vader was thinking, it was all to do with the movement of his head.

Why George, why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Why George, why?

Because he has well and truly lost the plot. The scene needed no words; if it had needed words, he'd have added them during the original filming. It's not like the ability to add what he wanted for the scene was not available (re: the tech to show Mos Eisley as he had 'wanted' to back in the day).

He changed the scene to try and do a purile and incredibly childish "join the dots" with the end of episode III. Just in case people couldn't follow the plot ... I mean ... it's not like either film has 'Star Wars' in the name, or is numbered in sequence or anything that might imply an over-arching storyline ...

Incidentally the "Nooooo" at the end of episode III was woeful. He'd [Darth Vader] have been better off just breaking loose of the chair and then trashing the place with force powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Some of Lucas's latest changes can be understood or defended (eg blinking Ewoks) but the new "nooooo" in ROTJ really isn't of them. I mean if that's what he wanted to have Vader saying then there was nothing stopping him having t that way back in 1983.

I reckon he just changed it as a "fúck you" to everyone who was laughing/cringing at it during Revenge of the Sith. The negative reaction to the NOOOOOOO in ep3 went viral at the time so I've no doubt it even got back to out-of-touch Lucas as to what the general publics response to his sombre scene actually was.

01.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

No surprise, we are talking about the man responsible for Indiana Jones 4 - a film that should be just deleted from existence.

Does the new Star Wars BluRay box set contain the original films too ?

or no, will that be another money spiner in 5 years time?

I actually think Indy 4 is a far more faithful addition to the Indy series than any of the SW prequels were to the SW OT. Don't know why Crystal Skulls get so much abuse (or at least as much as the SW prequels anyway). It's not even in the same ball park in terms of let-down.

The SW Blu-rays do not contain the original versions of the movies. TBH I doubt you'll ever be able to buy them (at least not as long as Lucas is still breathing anyway).

Dotrel wrote: »
    I actually think Indy 4 is a far more faithful addition to the Indy series than any of the SW prequels were to the SW OT. Don't know why Crystal Skulls get so much abuse (or at least as much as the SW prequels anyway). It's not even in the same ball park in terms of let-down.

The SW Blu-rays do not contain the original versions of the movies. TBH I doubt you'll ever be able to buy them (at least not as long as Lucas is still breathing anyway).

The only real issue I have with Indy IV is that it spends too much time giving a wink & nod to the previous three films rather than doing its own thing.

As for the SW Blu-rays; as far as I am aware you will not find the original versions on the discs at all. In fact I would go so far as to say that Lucas is actively trying to erase previous versions from history with the passage of time.

• Advertisement

True. At least you're criticising it for that rather than because of things like spaceships and cars driving off waterfalls etc.

Dotrel wrote: »
    True. At least you're criticising it for that rather than because of things like spaceships and cars driving off waterfalls etc.

The thing people need to remember is that the Indy films are in keeping with their era; I - III were set during the 1930s during the rise of Nazi Germany, hence there were always lots of Nazis on hand as the bad guy.

Indy IV is set during the 1950s; so that means the cold war (Soviet agents, helloooo?), nukes, and the start of mankind's (lasting) obsession with UFOs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im so glad i got the the originals dvd set last year, it has the special edition with all the new cgi AND the completely unchanged unedited originals which i will now treasure forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Lemming wrote: »
    Incidentally the "Nooooo" at the end of episode III was woeful. He'd [Darth Vader] have been better off just breaking loose of the chair and then trashing the place with force powers.

Thought that was done perfectly, it showed he'd massive sorrow as well as anger and palpatine grinning behind him was a nice touch, he knew with the weight of padmes death on his shoulders that he would always have control over vader.

The No bit in ROTJ, yeah that is stupid.

In ROTJ now how come Palpy doesn't turn around after the first "NOOOOOOO" and say "What's that Lord Vader?" See how it inherently doesn't make sense in the shot?

Make changes if you like but for better or worse if doesn't even physically work then it it shouldn't be there. It's like the Jabba/Han scene and stepping on the tail. It just simply wouldn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That Nooooo in III is just so bad. GL can't stop mucking with SW. Its a real pity. Its just not needed in VI either.

While its a great universe, and the set pieces are great, the storyline is muck, and GL will never stop trying to fix that. Unfortunately he can't fix it, as he can't write for peanuts. Hes stuck in that loop and can't move past it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im so glad i got the the originals dvd set last year, it has the special edition with all the new cgi AND the completely unchanged unedited originals which i will now treasure forever

Does Han shoot first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Funny though, I wonder what GL is thinking, is it a wind up ?

as mentioned on another thread - how can he justify that crap
    and then leave out a great scene in III where Yoda goes to Degobah?

He mentioned that "it didn't belong" -- WTF ?? it tied it up nicely - just like
    Obi Wan going to Tatooine and the twins being split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

jcf wrote: »
    Does Han shoot first ?

Yep its all the completely original stuff

Advertisement