Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ballsbridge

Options
  • 14-09-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, I am moving to the Sweepstakes development in Ballsbridge from the states. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where to buy groceries, home goods, etc. Of course the closer to the development the better, but I don't mind walking or taking the train. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭donaghs

Tesco on Baggot Street (near Waterloo Rd) would probably be best, in terms of variety prices and being able to walk there. There's a Spar in Ballsbridge village but would be more expensive and less variety. If you have a car you could drive to the Merrion Centre which is a bigger Tesco than Baggot St or Sandymount. For something different, you could also walk to Donnybrook Fair in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rachaelnicolle

donaghs wrote: »
    Tesco on Baggot Street (near Waterloo Rd) would probably be best, in terms of variety prices and being able to walk there. There's a Spar in Ballsbridge village but would be more expensive and less variety. If you have a car you could drive to the Merrion Centre which is a bigger Tesco than Baggot St or Sandymount. For something different, you could also walk to Donnybrook Fair in Donnybrook.

Thanks so much! It can be hard to familiarize yourself with a new area when you don't know anyone, especially a new country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rachaelnicolle

bedlam wrote: »
    You also have the following which are with in a 5 minute walk:
    • Spar on Bath Avenue (24hrs).
    • EuroSpar on Barrow St.
    • Fresh on Grand Canal Square/Quay.

Thank you! Any good general shopping/restaurant/activity suggestions in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

please please please do not shop in the Spar in Ballsbridge. An absolute rip off. I am not usually shocked by prices but this place is unreal expensive. I also think Fresh is way over priced and does not offer anything new than say Donnybrook Fair prices can semi justify.

You have two good Eurospars nearby on Barrow st and across the road from Slattery's. Also for a big shop Tesco in merrion as somebody else already mentioned.

In terms of eating French Paradox is really nice for something lightish and a few glasses of wine. I usually headed into town though when going for pints as it is so close

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jury's Hotel (across the road from the American Embassy) have a mini supermarket attached to it. You will be able to get stuff there that the local SPAR (glorified convenience store really) won't sell. But bare in mind that you are living in the most expensive part of Dublin, bar none. Prices for groceries reflect that. There are A LOT of buses that serve the area. 5 mins on any of them will take you to the Tesco supermarket in the Merrion Shopping Center. Prices will be much better there, and you'll have a much bigger selection of stuff to buy. I spent a month living in the area during the summer. Popping into the Spar became a habit in the evening as it was so convenient. While it might not seem a big deal to pay more than the norm for the odd loaf of bread or pint of milk, over time the bills can really add up.

Dunnes Stores in the Stephens Green Shopping Center (20 min walk from where you are) is probably your best bet for home goods, or Debenhams in the Blackrock Shopping Center, but they will be a lot more expensive than Dunnes. Just moved back here from the US myself. Found out the hard way that setting up home with out a car is a total pain in the a$$. Never really appreciated good old Target until I moved to a country that didn't have one. There is no direct bus route or train that goes from where you will be living to Stephens Green. So unless you are ok with making multiple trips lugging home pot and pans and toasters and TV's and comforters and towels etc etc, probably best to buy it all one one trip and just take a taxi home. It's not far. It wouldn't cost you much. There is an IKEA in the northern suburb of Ballymun. You could also do a big binge buy of all you need there, but the taxi fare home would probably run to over 25 euros. Best of luck to you !

• Advertisement
Advertisement