Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from NI

Options
  • 14-09-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

For 3 months now, I've been searching all over Ireland for a shop/dealer who can sell me an Aprilia Mana 850 GT. The retail price in the UK, mainland Europe and in the US is about €7250-€8250 (non ABS version).
    The lowest quote that I've been able to get here in Ireland is €11500 from Ducati Motors (the highest being €13500).

So, since Irish dealers can't seem to source this specific bike at a reasonable price, it seems that my best bet is to buy from Northern Ireland.
    Does any have an experience with buying a bike from Northern Ireland? I believe I have to change the plates within 6 months, but am not sure of the cost/process for doing this. Also, are there any extra taxes/tarriffs etc that I should know about when 'importing' it into Ireland?

And finally, can any recommend a dealership in Northern Ireland that sells Italian bikes and is likely to have an Aprilia Mana 850 GT?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If buying new you'll have to get the bike VAT free, there's a form which is posted in the motors forum, otherwise you'll need to pay VAT here and in NI. Then reclaim the NI VAT.

Next you'll need to pay VRT at the standard rate, IIRC it's €2 to 350cc and €1 for each cc above.

You have 1 week from import to get an appointment at an NCT centre for VRT purposes and have to complete it within a month.

One thing to be aware of is that NI dealers won't release the bike to you if you don't have the correct licence, heard of someone who bought a Harley in NI but only had an ROI permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

So I need a UK Drivers Licence???

Thanks for the other info. VRT is a nightmare. Feckin' ripoff Ireland.

Edit: Just worked it out. Assuming the bike cost €8000....that's €1680 VAT...then €1200 VRT. Total is €10880 which isn't far off the quote I got from Ducati motors.

Sigh...I guess I'll just buy from them. Almost the same cost, and less hassle than importing. I hate this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So I need a UK Drivers Licence???

No just a valid licence for the class of bike ie if your on the 2 year 33bhp restriction they won't release a full power bike, learners permit they won't release anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I'm assuming that you've been quoted less than the stg£8,049 list price for a Mana GT - (about £7,000 as you said it would cost €8000)?
    If so, you should be able to buy it in the UK and get it registered in ROI for about €9,500 total.

When I bought my Mana 850 (not the GT) 3 years ago, I was able to buy it from a NI dealer without paying the UK VAT as it was for export.
    I just had to fill in a form for the UK revenue so the dealer could sell it ex-VAT for export. Then I just rode it home and went to the VRT office the next working day.
    I paid 21% VAT on the ex-VAT UK price and then the €1200 VRT. It cost me about €9,400 in total. I know the GT is dearer but at the time, the exchange rate was weaker - about 1 Euro = 80p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

few years since Ive done it, but Ive a feeling the +VAT may be inclusive of VRT

so ('bike cost NI VAT free' + VRT) + 21% IRL VAT

• Advertisement
Advertisement