Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prog House?

Options
  • 14-09-2011 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

After years away from it Im looking to start listening to new prog house tracks so I went on to beatport tonight and checked out some new tracks under the prog house heading..........
    It all sounded like,,,,actually I dont know what it sounded like to be honest but definitely not what I was looking for!
    Tracks I would have considered to fall roughly under the prog house heading would be the likes of:

Sasha - xpander,
    Sasha/Emerson - scorchio
    Funk d'void - diabla
    future sound of london - Papua new guinea
    Sander kleinenberg - My lexicon
    John Digweed - Heaven Scent etc. so if any of you can give me a heads up to new music with rougly that kind of vibe It appreciate it.
    Thats assuming there are still producers going for that kind of vibe, maybe that style has gone the way of the dinosaur?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

beatport displays very trancey progressive, mostly tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I could list loads of old skool progressive house tunage, as for new(ish) stuff i wouldn't know loads but this is the best progressive tune ive heard in recent years,an absolute classic i love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=show&fc=tpage&cr=titles&cv=30542

from 2009 relatively up to date,fantastic tune this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

been looking for decent prog house myself in recent months, but most of the stuff i've come across is quite trancy too, like mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Interesting views, thanks everyone.
    For me the stuff on beatport seemed almost like very slowed down hardhouse focusing on harsh basslines as apposed to the more trancey vibe mentioned here.
    Might try a "deep house" search on beatport tonight to see if that turns up anything more akin to what Im looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It takes an awful lot of looking on Beatport to find any decent prog, like what you've mentioned. I look most nights at the new releases, and would come across maybe one or two a night that are worth revisiting. I genuinely don't know how they classify some of the muck in the prog category as prog, it's baffling!

Anyway, try these out

The original and Alfoa remixes are excellent

The original Altered Vision mix is good

Great tune

If you like these I've got bucket loads of recommendations. There's plenty of good stuff still out there, it's just more difficult to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Hey, thanks for the recommendations, thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for!
    Nice one. :)
    SuprSi wrote: »
    If you like these I've got bucket loads of recommendations. There's plenty of good stuff still out there, it's just more difficult to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Have you tried Digweed's radio show?

http://www.mixcloud.com/johndigweed/uploads/

Just check the tracklists for ideas on artists. He plays a lot of tech house and techno nowadays, but the overall framework is 'progressive', so it's worth checking out.

Sasha is the same, lots of different styles of music but he still sounds progressive. Look out for his DJ charts online.

The last progressive release I bought was Digweed's Structures mix.

Again, check the tracklist for ideas.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=12276

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

@ Bren Jacob - The Future Sound Of London: "Papua New Guinea" and Funk D'Void: "Diabla" I wouldn't consider prog house. They may have been appropriated and played to death by prog house djs but in my opinion they're not prog. See - Brian Eno: "An Ending (Ascent)" as another example.

Advertisement