Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a named driver. 17 year old?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am going to be 17 soon and i need a car due to where i live. Public transport is not possible. I will be on a provisional but will try to get my full as soon as possible. I really can't wait the six months to get my full, I need the car as soon as possible.
    My parents both use their cars everyday so getting insured as a named driver on their cars isn't an option. Plus their cars are 2.0L Turbo and a 1.6.
    I have been looking at a 1.4 Golf and yes I know this is a medium to big size engine for a young driver to get insured on but I want to know is it possible for my mother to buy the car in her name, insure it, and put me as a named driver. I realize i wouldn't build my own no claims bonus but still.
    This would make life a bit easier with the premium.
    I know the insurance company may frown upon the fact that I'm not declared as the main driver but this would only matter if i was trying to claim.
    But is this legal? Or can she only name me as a driver on her main car?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Its possible. but there isn't necessarily going to be any savings. She won't be able to use her no claims bonus on the vehicle unless the insurance company would be prepared to mirror it. Plus they would then rate the policy on the most loadable driver i.e. you!

It's also a false declaration for her to say that she is the main driver when she quite clearly isn't.

Insurance companies copped this one a long time ago!! Its a rite of passage when it comes to driving and you are unfortunately just going to have to suck it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

evan95 wrote: »
    I know the insurance company may frown upon the fact that I'm not declared as the main driver but this would only matter if i was trying to claim.
    "Frown upon" isn't strong enough a word really.

If you end up in an accident and the insurance company discover that you are the main driver, they will invalidate the policy. They will be required by law to pay any third party costs, but then they will chase your mother in court to claims those costs back.
    They could also have both yourself and your mother charged with fraud.

Having a cancelled insurance policy will also require your mother to declare that material fact to her other insurance company, who may choose to add a loading to her current policy.

Insurance companies have been wise to this trick for a good while.
    A quote for your mother + named driver (you), is now usually the exact same as you + named driver (mother), to discourage people from trying to find ways around it.

Look for a smaller car. Until you're in your late twenties, you won't have the luxury of picking the car you want to drive. You will be restricted to driving cars that carry a smaller loading. Look at 1L cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If you are starting out Id recommend Chill.ie.

Asgard (under written by Lloyds) are on their books and its a policy specifically designed for first time male drivers ie no experience,no ncb and a provisional licence.Chill have excellent discounting rates available with them.

As Seamus says above,every insurance company is well wise to this ploy.At least this way you start earning your own bonus and god forbid if something happened eg you crash,at least you are safe in the knowledge that you are fully covered as the policy is 100% above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Why do you need the car so urgently? Could you not be added onto your parents policies for a few months, till at least you have some competency in driving?

If you register car in anothers name to get cheaper insurance, you certainly will NOT be paid by insurer in the event of AD or FT claim and whilst they will have to pay out in the event of a TP claim, they will come after both you and the other for reimbursement of whatever they pay out.

Don't tell lies on insurance forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Nobody has mentioned yet that it appears that you intend to drive illegally without a qualified driver.

Oops, I forgot. Because loads do it makes it perfectly acceptable. My apologies

• Advertisement

If you are starting out Id recommend Chill.ie.

Asgard (under written by Lloyds) are on their books and its a policy specifically designed for first time male drivers ie no experience,no ncb and a provisional licence.Chill have excellent discounting rates available with them.

As Seamus says above,every insurance company is well wise to this ploy.At least this way you start earning your own bonus and god forbid if something happened eg you crash,at least you are safe in the knowledge that you are fully covered as the policy is 100% above board.

Minimum premium of €2,500 for 17 and 18 year olds!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

peteb2 wrote: »
    Minimum premium of €2,500 for 17 and 18 year olds!

:confused: What?

Asgards minimum premium for 17 and 18 year old males is 2,500

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

No it's not. I'm 18 and insured with asgard through chill for €1700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

peteb2 wrote: »
    Asgards minimum premium for 17 and 18 year old males is 2,500

Chill have a agreement with them that allows up to 40% discount.
    ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement