Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you an Angry O&O?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Everyone can be angry at times, but are you the sort of person who could be described as Angry? Apparently a lot of more mature folks can be described that way.

I thought this was a load of 'tosh' until I sat down and thought about myself.

I like people in general, maybe even love them in some ways. (I love the little ones so much I am so happy that I have them in my family) But yes I am an angry person.

So much about modern life (and death I suppose) angers me to the point of wanting to bite the heads off elephants. I find myself wanting to growl and tear things to pieces a bit more these days. I never do mind you, I am mature enough to know how to control myself, yet I think I am definitely an angry person.

Signed, Mr Angryoldfart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I think older people can be on one hand more accepting of things and on the other, can be quite angry...I've seen a lot of people go into their 70's and become quite angry and bitter at the world...hard sometimes to reconcile the, what I think is an older persons general strong ability at "acceptance" but also a large capacity for angry and frustration followed by upset..

Me? I'm just cantankerous- god knows what I'll be like when I'm in my 70's...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I get volcanically, almost pathologically angry over very slight things. I didn't notice it until a friend of mine who I hadn't seen for years (and who is a psych nurse) said in passing "Bear, you've turned into a very, very angry man..." So I'm officially angry...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Couldn't be arsed ........ it takes energy. I tend to look on the bright side and if things go turtle, so what? Most things that irritate people are so inconsequential that I think in the clear light of day, they would not get fired up ......... unless they wanted the rush. Adrenalin is a very potent and addictive fix. The most important thing in life (IMHO) is not worrying about things that may not happen. If it happens there is no way of unhappening it ...... so, if it gives you grief, find a way of going forward and not letting the baggage give you a stoop. People will talk ........ if not about you, then about someone else. Take no notice ........ if people are problematic ........ that's their problem, do not become entangled. Be happy ........ after all, you owe it to yourself.
    This is not a lecture ........ merely my take on life. My grandfarher used to recite a poem about "WORRY". If I can resurrect it, will post.:)

I propose this person as the first honorary member of O&O Forum:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/100498

Teresa Treacy, a 65 year old woman from Tullamore, Co Offaly has been ordered to jail by High Court Judge Daniel Herbert at the request of the ESB.

Ms Treacy, who shares the family farm with her sister Mary at Woodfield House, Clonmore, Tullamore, Co Offaly has refused the ESB access to her lands in order to protect the natural environment and the native trees that she has managed there for many years.

1._teresa_treacy.jpg

In February 2006 the ESB began plans to construct a 110kV transmission powerline from Cushaling to Thornsbury. The plans specify that double woodpole structures and steel towers accommodating overhead powerlines be built at 200 metre intervals over a total distance of 32 kilometres through the lands of local landowners.

Ms Treacy outlined her objections in a number of letters to the ESB and arranged a number of meetings with them to request that the powerlines be constructed underground for the following reasons.

1) The Health & Safety risks, including cancer risks which are increasingly associated with overhead powerlines as a result of Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF).

2) The fact that she has always maintained and improved her land as a natural habitat which includes native trees, old and new, cared for and/or planted by herself for future generations as a sustainable natural resource, through which the ESB want to smash.

3) The fact that the undergrounding of powerlines is now considered to be best practice across Europe. Ireland and the ESB are at the bottom of the league in terms of catching up with international standards and the progress which has been made to ensure that underground powerlines are the progressive way forward.

The ESB were also pointed to a recent decision in 2006 to underground the Bantry (Colomane - Ballylickey) 38kV powerline, which arose out of intense local protest opposing the overgrounding of that line. The ESB were contracted to that project by a private windfarm developer who succeeded in getting injunctions against local farmers but decided not to enforce them. He abandoned overgrounding in favour of undergrounding the powerline. See here: http://www.indymedia.ie/article/77007

When the Cushaling – Thornsbury project was proposed for Tullamore in early 2006 it appeared that there was stiff opposition to the project among the affected 90 landowners in Offaly. Undergrounding options were discussed as technical possibilities and European best practice had come to the attention of the public.

It's one thing to have a private developer opt for undergrounding but the ESB, fearing that a precedent may be set, were clever enough to use the Irish Farmers Association (IFA) to negotiate a compensation package with the landowners, most of them farmers.

Teresa Treacy stood to gain up to approximately 150,000 euro in 3 staged payments if she agreed to the project and on condition that no legal costs were incurred by the ESB if they had to go to court, in which case the last 2 payments would be 'forfeited'.

This deal, negotiated by the IFA over the course of 2 years, seemed to appease most of the landowners so by the time a public meeting was called to organise the landowners, by Ms Treacy in March 2009, less than a dozen people showed up.

By the summer of 2011 Teresa Treacy was the only one refusing access to the ESB.

The ESB has made a number of applications to the High Court over the summer, including orders for Ms Treacy to unlock her gates and let them in and subsequently an order empowering the ESB to break the locks after Ms Treacy refused to obey the first order. The ESB told the court that Ms Treacy “has an emotional attachment to her trees”. When Ms Treacy obstructed them from breaking the locks the ESB decided to go back to court to issue contempt proceedings against Ms Treacy.

Today, Monday 12th September 2011, Judge Daniel Herbert told Ms Treacy that he had no choice but to uphold the law and ordered that she be jailed for contempt of the court orders.

“I'm begging them for years” said Ms Treacy today. “5½ years, what a waste of time it was trying to talk to them”. Facing jail she said “I feel good, I really do. I just couldn't let them in to do that. It's just not right”.

“The route is cutting through our forest and the old Whitethorn hedgerows. For over 25 years I have used all my time and energy getting our lands into a place of natural beauty and overnight it can be destroyed with high powered lines going through forests beside the old bridge, the old laneway and through the new Oak and Ash woods I planted over 20 years ago. I have spent many years replacing dead trees and cutting gorse with my hands. I filled containers with water from the river so that my forest is a model. All my trees have been pruned individually by me to promote their growth”

“My heart is broken by the thought that they may be uprooted and thrown away. I know I will never see them in their full glory but was satisfied knowing that others would enjoy them long into the future”

“We already have 10 ESB poles on our land and feel that we have already done enough for the common good. Our farm is our life's blood, its scenic beauty from the untouched fields to the river and through the bog, all of it natural flora and fauna”.

Ms Treacy will remain in jail until she 'purges her contempt' by agreeing to comply with the court orders. The ESB, however, are in a position to make an application to the court for her release, but this is unlikely, at least until they've smashed the trees and constructed their outdated powerlines. Her incarceration is in their hands.

Bury the powerlines, not the people!
    [/I]

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I second this person as the first honorary member of O&O Forum:

Is this lady in prison - it must be heartbreaking to see the nature reserve she created over many years destroyed by pylons. What a courageous person she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

As I am mild mannered by nature I don't normally get very exercised about things, but there are two thing that have always annoyed me (1) littering (2) non disabled people parking in disabled parking spaces, now they use to just annoy me but I find as I get older instead of being annoyed I get angry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

mariaalice wrote: »
    As I am mild mannered by nature I don't normally get very exercised about things, but there are two thing that have always annoyed me (1) littering (2) non disabled people parking in disabled parking spaces, now they use to just annoy me but I find as I get older instead of being annoyed I get angry about them.

Ha, me too. I was starting to think I was just a Victor Meldrew.

mariaalice wrote: »
    (2) non disabled people parking in disabled parking spaces, now they use to just annoy me but I find as I get older instead of being annoyed I get angry about them.

Bad karma doing that...never did it, never will...

Spread wrote: »
    Couldn't be arsed ........ it takes energy. I tend to look on the bright side and if things go turtle, so what? Most things that irritate people are so inconsequential that I think in the clear light of day, they would not get fired up ......... unless they wanted the rush. Adrenalin is a very potent and addictive fix. The most important thing in life (IMHO) is not worrying about things that may not happen. If it happens there is no way of unhappening it ...... so, if it gives you grief, find a way of going forward and not letting the baggage give you a stoop. People will talk ........ if not about you, then about someone else. Take no notice ........ if people are problematic ........ that's their problem, do not become entangled. Be happy ........ after all, you owe it to yourself.
    This is not a lecture ........ merely my take on life. My grandfather used to recite a poem about "WORRY". If I can resurrect it, will post.:)

PEOPLE WILL TALK

You may get through the world, but ’twill be very slow,
    If you listen to all that is said as you go;
    You’ll be worried and fretted and kept in a stew,
    Cause meddlesome tongues will have something to do;
    For People Will Talk.

If quiet and modest, you’ll have it presumed
    That your humble position is only assumed;
    You’re a wolf in sheep’s clothings, or else you’re a fool,
    But don’t get excited, keep perfectly cool;
    For People Will Talk.

If generous and noble, they’ll vent out their spleen.
    You’ll hear some loud hints that you’re selfish and mean.
    If upright and honest and fair as the day,
    They’ll call you a rogue in a sly, sneaking way!
    For People Will Talk.

And then if you show any boldness of heart,
    Or a slight inclination to take your own part,
    They will call you an upstart, conceitied, and vain;
    But keep straight ahead, don’t stop and explain;
    For People Will Talk.

If threadbare your dress, or old-fashioned your hat,
    Some one will surely take notice of that,
    And hint rather strong that you can’t pay your way;
    But don’t get excited whatever they say,
    For People Will Talk.

If you dress in the fashion, don’t think to escape,
    For they criticize then if a different shape;
    You’re ahead of your means, or your tailor’s unpaid
    But mind your own business, don’t mind what is said;
    For People Will Talk.

Now, the best way to do is to do as your please,
    For your mind, if you have one, will then be at ease.
    Of course you will meet with all sorts of abuse,
    But don’t think to stop it, it is of no use,
    For People Will Talk.

Spread wrote: »
    PEOPLE WILL TALK

Excellent poem Spread.....no matter what you do in life, you will get the idiots who want you to conform to their way of thinking and will chastise publicly and privately if you don't...it's funny watching them get all worked up when you remain an independent thinker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This one is on the same lines, not really angry, but to do with control and freedom. While the examples are a bit off the wall, the sentiments I can really identify with.

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick flowers in other people's gardens
    And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickle for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
    And set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Cicero wrote: »
    Excellent poem Spread.....no matter what you do in life, you will get the idiots who want you to conform to their way of thinking and will chastise publicly and privately if you don't...it's funny watching them get all worked up when you remain an independent thinker...

This is so true Cic but sometimes we have no choice but to conform.:(
    Independent thinker and boards are not exactly a good match sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I am not angry. I am not.
    I am cynical
    And suspicious
    And contemptuous
    And bitter
    And depressed
    And miserable
    And frustrated
    And acrimonious
    And cantankerous
    And incredulous
    And penurious
    And fearful
    And sad
    And tired
    And lonely-ous
    And bad
    But am I angry? I am not.

— Jellybaby1

I am not angry, just misunderstood by sensitive people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

looksee wrote: »
    This one is on the same lines, not really angry, but to do with control and freedom. While the examples are a bit off the wall, the sentiments I can really identify with. <SNIP>
    That was the poem that kicked off The Red Hat Society.
    I wanted to start a Man branch of that amongst some friends but the missus just called us a bunch of oul misogynistic reprobates. We all agreed with her wholeheartedly and went for a nice game of golf instead.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

My mother-in-law was and her two sisters are members. One of the aunts after a few tinctures always dons hers and uttering some mumbo jumbo in Native American does what can only be described as Monty Pyrhon's SILLY WALK. However, as the years go by this high kicking solo fandango has been somewhat subdued and is now just an erratic stroll ....... a touch of arthiritis. She is 84. Bless! They raise quite a bit of money for charities and by default give their husbands a break every so often :D

OldGoat wrote: »
    That was the poem that kicked off The Red Hat Society.
    I wanted to start a Man branch of that amongst some friends but the missus just called us a bunch of oul misogynistic reprobates. We all agreed with her wholeheartedly and went for a nice game of golf instead.

Ahhh GOLF = Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Pfft, I love playing with the ladies. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Pfft, I love playing with the ladies. :cool:

The older the fiddle the sweeter the tune, Is this true?

hondasam wrote: »

The older the fiddle the looser the strings. :D

Not sure what I mean with that though but it sounds like it could be rude. he he he

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »

But it can still play, maybe not as good, but still play:D

hondasam wrote: »

You tell me...sher I'm only a young one...:p

Rubecula wrote: »

Not sure what I mean with that though but it sounds like it could be rude. he he he

A lot to be said for no strings at all at all :p

Cicero wrote: »
    You tell me...sher I'm only a young one...:p

You are only as old as the man/woman you are feeling.

Advertisement