Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mackerel as bait in rivers

Options
  • 13-09-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

hi all
    do anyone use mack as bait in large rivers as i was told it was a good bait

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

For Pike its a great bait as it leaves a good oily trail - I've also had several good Zander in the UK on it

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Andip wrote: »
    For Pike its a great bait as it leaves a good oily trail - I've also had several good Zander in the UK on it

hi
    i must give it ago see can i land a nice big pike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

It is very good if the river is in flood, and better again if its tidal as its ideal for sea trout. I use it with worm on the tip of the hook.

the way to do it is get your mackerel filllet, salt it and put it between two heavy weights for day or two till it goes hard, easier to cut and use then.

It is very good if the river is in flood, and better again if its tidal as its ideal for sea trout. I use it with worm on the tip of the hook.

the way to do it is get your mackerel filllet, salt it and put it between two heavy weights for day or two till it goes hard, easier to cut and use then.

hi
    yeah the river i fish is tidal do you leave the mack out when you salt it or can you keep it in the fridge i must try some worms with it

tight lines
    jay

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

I've had some good results with Pollen as well....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I use a mackeral a lot for pike. I love it because you can cast it very far, and it wont come off the hooks. I find the best dead baits for pike are the freshest, i have yet to use a species of deadbait that I didnt land pike on, as long it was defrosted at he bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

hi
    yeah the river i fish is tidal do you leave the mack out when you salt it or can you keep it in the fridge i must try some worms with it

tight lines
    jay

No, don't leave it in the fridge, outside in a shed etc, a flat surface and a concrete block or something heavy on top, wrap the mackerel in a cloth as well, after a day or so its more rigid and easy to cut, it goes a bit stale which is ideal.You would nt use it in this condition though for pike as it would be the whole mackerel you would use, maybe cut in half, you would have the blood etc to attract the pike, the way I'm describing is ideal for trout, eels and flukes will take it too.

No, don't leave it in the fridge, outside in a shed etc, a flat surface and a concrete block or something heavy on top, wrap the mackerel in a cloth as well, after a day or so its more rigid and easy to cut, it goes a bit stale which is ideal.You would nt use it in this condition though for pike as it would be the whole mackerel you would use, maybe cut in half, you would have the blood etc to attract the pike, the way I'm describing is ideal for trout, eels and flukes will take it too.

im gonna have too try it thanks for the good tip

Advertisement