Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint bank account question

Options
  • 13-09-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I had a joint bank account with my mother in law who passed away earlier in the year. We opened the account together and had equal access to it, she wanted me to have the money when she died. The bank sent me out forms for revenue etc which I filled in and so the bank put the account into my name. This account has been in my name for 3 months. The solicitor dealing with the will is now questioning this account and thinks the money should go to the deceased estate.

I dont know who is right the bank or the solicitor? I know she wanted me to have the money. Can the solicitor make the bank hand over the money now that it is in my name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It's clear thats someone is contesting it. If it was yours, the will should have stated it. Opening a joint account is not the way to do what you say was intended.

Solicitors advise is next, simple.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, speak to a professional :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement