Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on 07 Civic - No warranty and big repair bill

Options
  • 13-09-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some advice after coming back from the garage with a quotation for repairs.

Backstory, I bought the car second hand off a fella leaving the country. The car was in good shape and everything was working hunky dorey. About a month ago, the radio/ac/clock display broke in the car (completely blank) with the CD player (doesn't work) following a few weeks. I was talking to the boss of the guy I bought it off and he told me that the car used to have a custom radio set in it, installed by the guy who sold me the car. He obviously put the original set back in before giving it to me - thus voiding any Honda warranty.

I went into the Honda garage today and they said I'll have to get a new radio (€750+vat) and, probably, a new display (€285+vat). Everything apart from the radio/display is working great - engine, AC, brakes, no leaks, electric windows, etc. The car is a 1.8L petrol though and as my main trip is from one side of the country to the other, not the most economical way of travelling (less than 10,000 miles a year).

My question to all the readers is - would you recommend:
    1. Paying for the repair in the honda garage - €1200 as the car isn't under warranty anymore.
    2. Get a different radio kit - €??? - is this even possible?
    3. Sell the car, get a bit of finance and get another 2nd hand car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

I'd say bring it to an independent radio/installer repairer. It would be a bit drastic to have to change a car just because of the radio+display. They may be able to fix it using non OEM unit.

Another option would be to post the problem on a Honda Civic forum e.g. http://www.hondacivicforum.co.uk/

You'll usually find an enthusiast who has encountered the problem before.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zygnoth

Cheers gb153.

I'm going to post on civinfo.com as well but, I assume, they would be less likely to tell me to ditch a Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

TBH , the Honda garage will probably cover themselves and quote for all replacement parts. If the guy took out the radio and put in a custom one, it is possible that it was cabled poorly?

Before going onto mad expense, I'll bring it to an Indy electrical guy and ask him to have a look. If you did need a new radio/clock, I'll be looking for one from a scrap yard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Try a breakers? I'm sure one or two of these have been crashed with the radios and displays still good in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Update - worst case, you can get a CD player from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-2006-2011-CD-MP3-Player-WMA-Stereo-Genuine-/170693307621?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27be1d2ce5

Only £125 vs €750.... I know which route I'd be taking,.

• Advertisement

jayok wrote: »
    Before going onto mad expense, I'll bring it to an Indy electrical guy and ask him to have a look. If you did need a new radio/clock, I'll be looking for one from a scrap yard!

I think you're right jayok - I'm just a bit depressed today after paying for a €150 quotation...I'll try to source a good electric mechanic in Dublin centre so and hopefully he (or she) might hook me up with something cheaper.

The thought of spending €1000 on a radio makes me want to cry - I don't even have a television yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Zygnoth wrote: »
    I think you're right jayok - I'm just a bit depressed today after paying for a €150 quotation...I'll try to source a good electric mechanic in Dublin centre so and hopefully he (or she) might hook me up with something cheaper.

The thought of spending €1000 on a radio makes me want to cry - I don't even have a television yet!
    Though your radio problem is a bit sad keep your eye on the free section of adverts for a TV. http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_television/sortby_best_match-desc/price_0/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Did you check the fuses?
    He might have just tapped wires together with insulation tape when putting the stereo back in.
    It is posibly a very simple fix

Cheers for all the help guys...

Those ebay one look very good - I hadn't even thought of people flogging their old radios.

I haven't checked the fuses though I'd hope that they would have looked at it in the garage today - is it like a circuit breaker where it flips or do you need a multimeter to check if they're gone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement