Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone call from so called microsoft office

Options
  • 13-09-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

got a call from an indian guy, he wanted me to believe he was some irish guy with an irish name and works for microsoft in dublin. also told me that vodafone have given them the ip address and my details. he told me to log on to my computer and told me to do this and that. he said ur computer is infected with viruses, and wanted me to go along with the process, i think basically he wanted my credit card details. i did not give them to him.

he said he will temporarily remove all viruses and infections and call me again, all the time he could see the home screen of my computer, all i want to know is how could he possibly see all this. and am i still affected. would be able to hack my computer now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Just shout at them no ligit company will call you out of the blue asking you to do stuff like that. If you were stupid enough to follow his instructions theres a high possibility your details are already taken and probably at this second your buying an IPad2 in Nigeria

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

got a call from an indian guy, he wanted me to believe he was some irish guy with an irish name and works for microsoft in dublin. also told me that vodafone have given them the ip address and my details. he told me to log on to my computer and told me to do this and that. he said ur computer is infected with viruses, and wanted me to go along with the process, i think basically he wanted my credit card details. i did not give them to him.

he said he will temporarily remove all viruses and infections and call me again, all the time he could see the home screen of my computer, all i want to know is how could he possibly see all this. and am i still affected. would be able to hack my computer now.

Did you goto any webpage he asked you too or run anything thing?
    If so then you may of been infected via a drive-by install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This is a common scam - he is just looking to be paid by credit card for his 'work'. Once you've paid or told him to piss off - they move along to find the next target.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

here ya go OP, this is just one of the many scams they use, trying to bring you to logmein.com.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

does keeping a whistle by the phone still work? :D

someone once posted an extract from such a conversation which they recorded where they were ready for their call and played Arnold Schwarzenegger responses to their every statement - quite amusing how long it went on for...

OP, probably unlikely that they've created a problem for you but as it is perhaps possible you should probably do the usual antivirus/malware full system scan stuff just to be sure - but you are probably doing this already.

(and if you aren't able for that i'm sure a nice indian gentleman from microsoft in ireland - maybe by the name of Paddy, will ring you up sometime soon and would be more than willing to help ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

They have also rang people who do not even own a computer.Abusive I know where you live language should do the trick:)

Advertisement