Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pioneer CDJ's or Pioneer DDJ??

Options
  • 13-09-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi hows it going, been djing for over a year now, mainly doing 21st's / 18th's and the likes with a few nights in late bars and clubs filling in for people. I want to get into djing and music production in a big way, hoping to eventually release some of my own remixes and get gigs in proper niteclubs, but im not running away with myself, thats a lot of work and down the line a bit for me yet.

Anyway, I'm currently using Virtual DJ 7.0 on my laptop with a Hercules RMX midi controller. I find it quite limited especially when i see the possibilities with all the pioneer gear and traktor software and all that. So I'm thinkin of upgrading asap to get better gear and start practicing on that. I know the industry standard at the moment is the pioneer cdj's and the djm mixers but i was looking at getting the pioneer ddj-t1 with the traktor software. just thinkin that since all my music is on mp3's on the laptop and not cd's it would be much handier for me, plus im used to using dj software on my laptop so it would be an easier transition for me. also it seems to mirror the controls and possibilities of the cdj's quite closely, and is cheaper too.

So my question is i suppose, if i wanted to get seriously into djing which route would u advise me to go down? are the cdj's likely to remain industry standard for the years to come or will things move digital to mp3's with the ddj?

thanks!

by the way my names not mary, nor am i female.. long story ha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I've used the CDJ for almost 10 yrs and am moving over to digital at the moment. I intend to keep my CDJ as back up BUT i can say that more and more are moving to digital and i think its the future.

I'd go digital but have a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sideways mary

yeah i always carry a spare laptop with all my songs and virtual dj software just in case one decides to **** itself.. also bring an ipod that i can plug into the back of the mixer at the worst worst case scenario so there'll still be music.

also on a different note, are macbook pro's worth the money for djing? really tempted by one now but the price is crazy. is the screen on the 13inch one big enough so u dont have to be squinting too much at it or should i go for the 15inch?

yeah i always carry a spare laptop with all my songs and virtual dj software just in case one decides to **** itself.. also bring an ipod that i can plug into the back of the mixer at the worst worst case scenario so there'll still be music.

also on a different note, are macbook pro's worth the money for djing? really tempted by one now but the price is crazy. is the screen on the 13inch one big enough so u dont have to be squinting too much at it or should i go for the 15inch?

I use a macbook pro in all but name, i've upgraded the ram in my macbook aluminium and it does me fine.

What do you need to see track names or times ? I just got a skin that shows me the times larger and i have music in folders so i'll only be working off one genre at a time so i'm happy with that and its a 13 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sideways mary

ah ok cool, the 13inch should do me fine so! reckon the ddj with a macbook is the way to go so, anyone have a lend of 2 grand? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If you were going down the digital route why not go with a MacBook Air. Granted it ain't as powerful. But it's priced lower and a lot more portable. Plus flash memory is a great little addition.
    If I were to go the digital route I'd get a MacBook air and the DDJ-T1.

I've just ordered a MacBook Pro today myself. €2,750 so it's costing me an arm and a leg but it'll last and worth the money.

I'm using CDJ's and they do me fine. I'll add to that as well that most of the newer models of CDJ's out now can double as a midi controller. So Traktor can still be used.

• Advertisement

i'm actually seriously looking at the Denon DN-MC6000. its a stand alone mixer in its own right which really suits me.

Advertisement